Free tutoring is available for KHS students

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley
Senior Michael Monroe enjoys staying after school to help students with their schoolwork.

Tutoring is now available after school for students who struggle with any subject.

The sessions take place 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday in the Career Center.

Senior Michael Monroe joined NHS in 11th grade and began tutoring later that year.

He has tutored twice a week ever since and enjoys being able to help other students.

“It doesn’t bother me to stay after school to help students if they need extra help,’ Monroe said. “I would want to be able to stay after school with a tutor if I needed help in a class.”

NHS students can earn one hour of service credit every time they tutor. They can tutor as often as they want.

Students can get help with almost every subject.

“I will tutor students in any subject, as long as I know enough about the subject to help them,” Monroe said.

Students should take advantage of the opportunity to get extra help. One-on-one learning with peers offers a new way to understand material, which is beneficial to students who are struggling in school.

But more students should to take advantage of the tutoring.

“My least favorite part is when I stay after and no one shows up,” Monroe said.

Mrs. Colleen Grathoff, NHS supervisor, has taught the NHS students methods to help the students study.

“They work through homework with the students and explain, they offer studying suggestions and advice, they make flashcards, and they train students on how to take notes and study,” Grathoff said.