KHS pumps up the spirit on first day of homecoming week

IMAGE / Brianna Horne

Seniors scream for spirit when senior Kaitlyn Foco opens up the Spirit Jar. Some band members joined in to show their support.

The time for Homecoming has begun and the assembly on Monday, Oct. 9, pitted class against class.

Members of each class competed in various events such as relays, the ice bucket challenge, and a soda chugging contest.

Every student watched intently and no one was disappointed as their own class members fought to win the title of best class.

During the relays, students had to perform activities such as wrapping themselves up in toilet paper, popping a balloon by hugging a classmate, or tossing a ball into a trash can. The teams had to move as quickly as possible in order to finish first. The first class to finish won.

IMAGE / Brianna Horne
Freshman Conner Cooper (bottom center) is pushed by his girlfriend freshman Lilli Dolan.

Another game played was Hungry Hungry Hippos, a game in which students lie on scooters on their stomachs and are pushed by a friend to collect as many ping pong balls as possible. In the end, the class with the most ping pong balls reigns over all.

The ice bucket challenge is the most extreme event of the assembly. A student from each class must stand in a bucket full of ice water for as long as they can. Some students distract themselves by listening to a song on their phones, drowning out the noise of the crowd.

While the classes wait to see who will step out of the bucket first, other students chug a bottle of warm orange soda. The first student to finish off the bottle wins.

In the end, it’s all fun and games, each class returns to normal, and the students go back to loving one another.