Teacher Appreciation Week kicks off the month of May

IMAGE / Ashley Harroun

Teacher Appreciation Week is Monday, May 1, through Friday, May 5.

Teachers have more impact on students’ lives than anyone else.

Students see several teachers every day for five days a week for six months out of the year.

Even though teachers educate us and mentor us, they don’t usually get thanks for the work they do.

Junior Megan Delong thinks Teacher Appreciation Week is important.

“Teachers have to put up with so much that they shouldn’t have to,” Delong said.

That’s why Monday, May 1 through Friday, May 5, is Teacher Appreciation Week.

Junior Cierra Farney’s favorite teacher is Mr. John Hall.

“He’s just real. He doesn’t sugarcoat anything,” Farney said. “He’s really nice and fun.”

Students plan on complimenting and making their teachers feel special this week.

Sophomore Caitlyn Link, whose favorite teacher is Mr. Michael Whalen, plans on complimenting him every day of teacher appreciating week.

Teacher Appreciation Week will have spirit days for the teachers dress up.

Every spirit day teachers participate in, they receive a raffle ticket. They can turn the tickets in at a bucket in the office, and it will enter them into a drawing to win prizes.

Students can participate in the spirit days, as well, but they can’t be entered into the drawing.

The spirit days are as follows: Monday is dress as a KHS student day, Tuesday is jean day, Wednesday is favorite color day, Thursday is college day, and Friday is retirement day. (Dress how you would dress if you were retired.)

If you have a favorite teacher, make sure to let them know how much they’ve really impacted your life. Write a letter, talk to them, give them compliments, give them a gift, or simply just smile at them.