Putting the prom together takes time, money

IMAGE / Emilie Lewis

Senior Cami Clarambeau is the senior class president. Clarambeau hopes all seniors will attend prom.

The end of senior year is quickly approaching, which means prom is right around the corner.

It will be held on May 13, at the Genesis Banquet Center with a theme of “Under the Sea,” and the cost of tickets will be around $45. Ticket prices have not been finalized yet.

Some students have been counting down the days and can’t wait to dance their night away while others would rather stay home and watch TV or crack open a good book.

No matter what kind of student you are, you probably haven’t put much thought into everything it takes to make prom happen.

Senior Cami Clarambeau, class president, has shared the process of making prom the best that it could be.

From picking the location to planning around other school events, prom can be difficult to plan. Therefore, planning must begin early.

“At the end of junior year we picked the location and date because we had to get our deposit in early,” Clarambeau said.

In addition, prom can become pretty expensive, so fundraising is important. Without it, prom would be impossible.

“The fundraising starts pretty much freshman year,” Clarambeau said.

The fundraisers could be small things such as selling socks and  T-shirts, or larger school functions such as dances and games.

“The biggest fundraiser that brings in the most money is powder puff,” Clarambeau said. “Each Senior Class gets the money from that.”

As well as the money from powder puff, the Senior Class gets the money from the snowcoming dance.

“The DJ is, on average, about $600. You have to rent the banquet hall, which varies where you go,” Clarambeau said. “So it can get expensive really quick because then you have to pay for food, the table settings, the decorations, and for the employees that work it that night. So it adds up really quick.”

However, no matter how much their friends beg and plead, a number of students refuse to attend prom each year. Clarambeau wishes that all seniors would want to attend prom.

“Class officers have been putting in a lot of work,” Clarambeau said, “and this is one of the last things that we get to just get together and have fun with as a whole class.”