Many students enjoy fast food despite knowing it’s unhealthy

High school students are always on the move due to their busy schedules, so many of them make fast food the way to go.

With many fast food restaurants located in the area, fast food tends to be the simplest and most convenient way to get food.

Some KHS students eat fast food all the time, even on a daily basis.

Sophomore Emma Bishoff eats fast food frequently throughout the week.

“I eat it at least four times a week,” Bishoff said. “I think I eat it so much because it’s fast and I’m always busy going from practices to training.”

Athletes seem to eat fast food often, according to Bishoff.

“There is a lot of student athletes out there,” Bishoff said. “Fast food is easy to get after practices and games.”

I’m obsessed with it. I eat fast food, especially when I’m with my friends.

— Taylor Rathburn, junior

But some students who are not athletes eat fast food consistently as well.

Junior Taylor Rathburn said she has an “addiction” to fast food.

“I’m obsessed with it,” Rathburn said. “I eat fast food, especially when I’m with my friends.”

Some students find it to be a cheap and easy way to get food.

Rathburn agrees with Bishoff that fast food is a quick and easy way to have a meal.

“It’s the most convenient option,” Rathburn said.

“It’s quick and easy sometimes,” Bishoff said. “You can go to places that have fast service, but it seems very rare (to find fast service).”

Even though sophomore Colton Joseph said he enjoys eating fast food, he finds it to be rather expensive but agrees with the fact it’s extremely convenient.

“I don’t eat fast food a lot because it’s expensive, yet it’s quick and easy,” Joseph said.

Altogether, teens seem to enjoy fast food.

Fast food may benefit the busy people of the world, but does it benefit their health?

Thorax, a journal of the British Thoracic Society, published findings from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood, suggests that children who eat fast food at least three times a week are at an increased risk of asthma, rhinitis, and eczema.

The study’s conclusion noted that this subject “deserves further exploration, particularly in view of the fact that fast food is increasing in popularity around the world.”

It’s also shown that fast food may affect people physically, as well as mentally. 

“Fast-food and commercial baked goods consumption may have a detrimental effect on depression risk,” according to a 2012 study published on the website The Nutrition Society, which is based in London.

Mrs. Amy Graham, health teacher, agrees that fast food is unhealthy.

“The sodium content of most fast food is through the roof,” Graham said. “Most fast food is also very high in fat, so a person who eats fast food would get a lot of fat, a lot of sodium and not many of the other healthy nutrients.”

While teens know how bad fast food is, they continue to eat it.

“It’s extremely unhealthy,” Rathburn said.

Joseph agrees with this statement. 

For healthier options, try to find places that use fresher foods as an option — turkey that actually looks like the turkey you have at Thanksgiving instead of sliced, processed turkey.

— Mrs. Amy Graham, health teacher

“I mean it’s pretty unhealthy,” Joseph said. “But it tastes good, so I guess it evens out.”

Bishoff, however, believes you can find healthy alternatives when it comes to eating at fast food restaurants.

“It’s really unhealthy sometimes, but there are some healthy choices out there,” Bishoff said. “There’s a lot of students out there that eat fast food.”

Graham also sees some healthy alternatives instead of fast food.

“The sodium in fast food usually comes from foods that are processed. For example, Subway uses processed meats and hence the sodium content is very high,” Graham said. “For healthier options, try to find places that use fresher foods as an option — turkey that actually looks like the turkey you have at Thanksgiving instead of sliced, processed turkey.”