Five seniors share their memories from KHS

Senior year can be one of the most exciting years of high school. From homecoming week to prom to walking across the stage at graduation, senior year is busy and exciting.

In this story, five seniors share about their time at KHS.

Brittney Dick

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh
Senior Brittney Dick recommends taking helpful classes senior year.

What will you miss about high school?

“Certainly playing softball for Kearsley. High school sports are something you won’t have again once you graduate,” Dick said. “Especially because our team is so close. Playing softball for Kearsley is an honor to me.”

What high school memory is your favorite?

“Just about every basketball game we have is my favorite memory. It’s so fun when all my friends, and I get all hyped up for the games to watch our teams play their hearts out.”

Do you have any advice for underclassmen about their senior year?

“Take classes that matter to you. Everyone always says senior year is a blow off year, but colleges still look at what you’re taking. Be sure to choose classes that interest you and not just what your friends are taking as well.”

Neil Kagerer

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh
Senior Neil Kagerer will miss the familiarity of KHS.

What will you miss about high school?

“The thing I will probably miss the most is the familiarity,” Kagerer said. “I’ve attended Kearsley schools my whole life, so it’s like a home to me.”

“My favorite high school memory is when I was nominated as powder puff king this year,” Kagerer said. “It was heartwarming to see how many people thought I deserved the honor. Also, I loved walking in the parade.”

“Definitely. You’ve come this far so don’t start giving up now. Be a part of Kearsley,” Kagerer said. “Join a club, sport, or after school activity. Don’t leave with any regrets. Go to prom, walk faster in the 400 hallway, finish out your last year strong, and make sure when you hit your senior year you can look back and reminisce about all the accomplishments you have achieved. ”

Loren Jolin 

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh
Senior Loren Jolin’s favorite memory is beating the seniors during her junior year of powder puff.

What will you miss about high school?

“I will definitely miss socializing and seeing everyone that I grew up with since elementary school. Oh, and I’ll miss not having as many responsibilities.”

“My junior year when we beat the seniors during powder puff.”

“The advice I’d give underclassmen would be to just make the most of your remaining years here at Kearsley because they go by unbelievably fast,” Jolin said. “Try to make lasting memories by just being friends with everyone and getting involved in new things.”

Sidney Shields

IMAGE / Senior Shelby Wiley
Senior Sydney Shields is going to miss the friends she grew up with.

What will you miss about high school?

“What I will miss most is seeing my friends everyday,” Shields said. “Growing with them. Making memories with them. Going to football games. Spending the weekend together — everything. Because after high school, everything changes and those friends that you thought you’d never lose, well, more than likely, you’ll grow apart.”

“I have a few. Homecoming, most definitely, my junior year and senior year. Dancing with all my friends and everyone just having fun instead of hating one another. Also, freshman year when Mrs. (Laura) Hall made her own caramel and brought it in for the class. It was incredible. Finally, spending weekends with my best friend.”

Do you have any advice for underclassmen about their senior year?

“I would have to say make the most of the time you have here. Go spend time with your friends. Make memories. Try something new. I’m part of the school play, and it’s my first time ever. Just enjoy it while you can. As you get older you realize how busier you are and how it’ll impact everything.”

Mitchell Conely 

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley
Senior Mitchell Conely likes to imitate his math teacher, causing the teacher to laugh so hard he cries.

What will you miss about high school?

“Probably the family feeling,” Conely said. “Especially at football games or other sporting events. We are all there to cheer the athletes on and it feels like home. Everyone wants the same thing.”

“Making (Mr. Chris) Torok cry because he was laughing so hard from my imitation of him.”

“Live it up. Don’t be stupid. Graduate on time.”