French students explore Quebec City, Montreal

IMAGE / Elise Pariseau

The Château Frontenac, in Quebec City, was one of the many landmarks the French students were able to visit over Presidents Day weekend.

Junior Bailee Stevens used her French skills along with her KHS classmates during a trip to Quebec City and Montreal, Canada, over the long weekend, starting Friday, Feb. 17.

“We toured Quebec City’s fortified city and learned about the 19th century military life. We became soldiers, which was interesting,” Stevens said.

The group of students, led by Madame Kim Rouvelin, French teacher, visited many different historical sites and enjoyed some snow sports.

Rouvelin believes the goal of the trip was achieved.

“The goal was to introduce our students to live, real French speakers, history and culture, and to practice speaking in real life situations to give them the gift of travel,” Rouvelin said.

Stevens enjoyed the places the group was able to visit, especially enjoying the activities.

“We spent the day at Valcartier winter sports village, which was really fun. We got to go tubing down different slopes and toured their ice hotel,” Stevens said. “We experienced the sugar shack and learned how they make maple syrup. Then we drove to Montreal and explored their underground city and went ice skating.”

The majority of the group were students who where in French II through French IV.

IMAGE / Bailee Stevens
French students were able to experience parts of Montreal, Canada, after visiting Quebec City.

Junior Lauren Pariseau, French III student, was able to practice the skills she learned in class.

“The yearly trip is typically to France. This year we decided to go to Quebec (City),” Pariseau said. “While I was there, I was able to practice the things I learned in class, and I even learned new things.”

Although junior Rebekah Caudle is not in any French classes, she enjoyed the trip and the opportunities it provided for her and the rest of the group.

“It is weird hearing everyone around you speak a different language,” Caudle said. “But while I was there I was able to learn a bit of French, and I was able to see everyone in the class expand their language.”

Pariseau enjoyed herself and wishes to return to Canada soon.

“My favorite part of the trip was when I  got to see my friend that stayed with me over the summer and got to meet her family,” Pariseau said. “I have not been to Quebec (City) before, but I definitely want to go back. It was one of the best experiences of my life.”