Seth Cherubini plans to serve in the Air Force

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

Senior Seth Cherubini has known since he was 15 that he wanted to enter the Air Force.

“Ever since I was seven I wanted to join the military, it was not until I was 15 when I decided I wanted to go into the Air Force,” Seth Cherubini said with a smile.

Cherubini is a driven 18-year-old senior at KHS who is nothing but extraordinary.

He has enlisted into the Delayed Entry Program where he will train to eventually be in the Air Force.

He is also a member of DECA, an employee at True Value Hardware, plays varsity football as a linemen, and is also an employee at the schools Hornets Nest.

“My days are very busy between school and work and extra activities,” Cherubini said. “I do not have a lot of time for anything else.”

Family is a big part of Cherubini’s life, so when has time away from his busy life he likes to spend his free time with his family.

“Family means a lot to me. I am constantly finding time to see my sisters and spend time with my mom,” Cherubini said.

Cherubini is the son of Shawni Anderson and John Cherubini.

He is the youngest of two and has two older sisters Sierra, 19, and Cheyenne, 21.

I have been to a lot of different schools, but Kearsley is by far my favorite school.

— Seth Cherubini, senior

He was born in Flushing but he grew up in Marquette. He moved to Flint with his mom in 2012.

Cherubini has been attending KHS ever since.

“I have been to a lot of different schools, but Kearsley is by far my favorite school,” Cherubini said. “I love how close everyone is here. Everyone just fits in somewhere.”

Cherubini has participated in many sports and programs at KHS.

He has been an avid player of football since he was 9 years old and has played all four years in high school.

To him football has always been more than just a sport. It has modeled him to be the man he is today.

“Nine years of football taught me good mentality and never to quit,” Cherubini said. “I love the brotherhood within the team.”

Cherubini said that KHS is and always will be his favorite school where he played football.

“Out of all the schools I’ve played for, Kearsley is by far my favorite,” Cherubini said. “Kearsley is so much more than a school. It is a family.”

Cherubini is also a member of DECA. An association of students and teachers in marketing, management, and entrepreneurship that holds competitions for future entrepreneurs.

He has competed in DECA for one year where he competed in a district conference at Saginaw Valley State University.

“It was an amazing experience that I wish I would have experienced earlier on in high school,” Cherubini said.

Cherubini also became an employee of the Hornets Nest, which he he said is an incredible opportunity.

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh
Senior Seth Cherubini enjoys being a part of DECA and working in the Hornets Nest.

“I can truly say this has been an experience I will never forget,” Cherubini said.

Mrs. Kim Guest, marketing teacher, said that Cherubini is an excellent student who could have a bright future in business but knows he wishes to join the Air Force.

“Seth has learned a lot through the course of my classing, and although I know Seth is pursing a career in the Air Force, I know all the things he has learned in my class will carry on to any career he hopes to pursue,” Guest said.

Cherubini enlisted in the DEP on Dec. 27, planning to pursue his childhood dream of being a member of the Air Force.

Cherubini said his process to enlisting into the DEP has not been a quick one.

Once Cherubini took his ASVAB, which is an aptitude test all enlistees take when joining the armed forces, he had to get a military physical to see if he is fit to serve.

Cherubini does not plan on serving his whole life, but when his 20 years are over, he hopes to come home where he will pursue a career as a chiropractor and eventually go on to get married and have a family.

As for joining the Air Force, Cherubini has a bigger purpose than just leaving home. He wants to fight for the country he loves.

I want to serve my country and make my family proud.

— Seth Cherubini, senior

He is clear about his direction, and knows exactly what steps he wants to take in life.

“I want to serve my country and make my family proud. It is simple. This is what I want to do with my life,” Cherubini said. “This is something I have always wanted to do with my life, and I am finally going to accomplish my lifelong goal.”

Cherubini said he is nervous, but he knows his abilities are meant to be used, not wasted.

“Of course I am scared. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t, but I am quick on my feet,” he said. “I can fix basically anything, I have what it takes to be a leader and take on a leadership role. I belong in the Air Force.”

When it comes to leaving home, Cherubini gave an unexpected answer for his hardest goodbye.

“I will miss my dog the most,” Cherubini said laughing. “I know this sounds dumb, but she is old and I know chances are she will die while I am away.”

Cherubini will miss his family too but said good friend senior Nick Hartwick will be another hard goodbye.

“He is my best friend. We do everything together,” Cherubini said. “Leaving him will be difficult, but I am excited to start my new life.”

In return, Hartwick said he will miss Cherubini. But Hartwick wishes him nothing but the best and knows he will be an asset to the Air Force.

I wish him nothing but the best…. He deserves the best.

— Nick Hartwick, senior

“I am going to miss hanging out with him, and playing Madden, going on drives, and just being able to talk about anything,” Hartwick said. ” I am proud of him for serving. He is going to do excellent things in the Air Force.”

Hartwick hopes Cherubini will find the success he is looking for in life.

“I wish him nothing but the best,” Hartwick said. “After he is through serving, he will find a nice job and start a family with someone he wants to spend the rest of his life with. He deserves the best.”