Quiz bowl finishes second in Genesee Academic League

Flint Metro League season to start in January

IMAGE / Chris Schmidt

The quiz bowl team shows off its runner-up trophy. Sophomore Andrew Flynn (left ), junior Kayla Smith, senior Miranda Blaine, junior Sarah Glover, and junior Avery VanKuren.

The quiz bowl team finished second in the Genesee Academic League with a record of 11-4.

The team was tied with Oxford for second place in its division but won the tie-breaker.

“The team has done all right this year,” Coach Chris Schmidt said. “I think that (11-4) is a decent showing for us, considering we have been short handed for most of the year.”

Unfortunately, the Hornets were missing players at several practices and a few meets.

Starting in January, the team will move on to the Flint Metro League season.

“I expect Kearsley to compete for first place in (the) Metro (League),” Schmidt said. “I think we are capable of doing well in Metro League play.”

Sophomore Andrew Flynn said that he is going to prepare for the Metro League season by reading websites and encyclopedias.

The Flushing quiz bowl team bowl team (left) plays Kearsley at the cross over match between the two divisions. Kearsley lost with a score of 150 to 280.
IMAGE / Courtesy of Flushing quiz bowl team
The Flushing quiz bowl team bowl team (left) plays Kearsley at the cross-over match between the two divisions. Kearsley lost 150-280.

Also, Flynn said he thinks Kearsley has many good candidates to join the quiz bowl team and recommends students to join.

Any student interested in joining the team should report to practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school from 2:30 to 4 p.m. in the GenNET room, Room 204.

Coach Schmidt is excited for this season and hopes for victories.

“We have to strive for excellence,” Schmidt said.