NHS will induct juniors, seniors

nhs-logo-1

Juniors and seniors who meet the standards for National Honor Society will be inducted on Thursday, Nov.17.

This is a formal event where all inductees will be honored for their academic accomplishments.

NHS is a program that recognizes students for their academic achievements.

Students are honored to be accepted into NHS, knowing it is not easy to get into and be part of the honor society.

To remain a member, students are expected to attend monthly meetings in the morning before school at 6:45 a.m., maintain a GPA of a 3.5 or higher, volunteer for a minimum of 15 service hours per semester, pay mandatory dues of $5 per semester, and behave appropriately at school.

Failure to do so results in probation, and if the member keeps violating one of the standards, it may lead to removal from the group.

NHS is ran by senior officers.

This year’s officers are Hailey Balltosser, president; Kassidy Krist, vice president; Ave’r McKay, secretary; Rian Schulz, treasure; and Loren Jolin, historian.

Balltosser is excited to see what this year has to hold.

“I am really excited. I’m excited to see some new faces and for them to be a part of NHS,” Baltosser said. “It truly is a great group to be involved in, and I hope they (the inductees) enjoy it as much as I do.

“This year, as president, I hope to become more involved in the community and to fundraise a good amount of money for the organization we choose to donate to once everyone is inducted.”

Mrs. Colleen Grathoff is the adviser. She said her favorite part about NHS is the students.

“I really enjoy getting to know the students,” Grathoff said. “We have a lot of fun helping the community.”

Grathoff said NHS members have exceeded their roles as students at Kearsley.

“I think NHS represents students who are  scholarly students, who have leadership skills, and who go above and beyond,” Grathoff said.

But the most important thing to Grathoff is character.

I was very excited when I got accepted. It was an honor.

— Jayden Zajac, junior

“Character is a huge thing to me. Character will take you so far in life,” Grathoff said. “Members in NHS are people with an outstanding character, as well as students who academically excel.”

Junior Jayden Zajac is looking forward to being inducted.

“I was very excited when I got accepted. It was an honor, and I look forward to helping the community,” Zajac said.

Zajac is looking forward to the Daddy-Daughter Dance the most.

“I loved it (the dance) when I was little, so I can’t wait to come back,” Zajac said. “I  just cant wait for it to start.”

The following senior inductees are as follows:

Elisa Ascencio, Hannah Bailey, Zachery Elizondo, Makenna Hass, Marcus Moss, Nickole Sarginson, Sadie Saunders, and Sarah Streit.

The following junior inductees are as follows:

Sarah Beamer, Kaylee Brookman, Shannon Chamberlain, Jonathon Conley, Emily Diehl, Kaitlyn Foco, Marysa Gatica, Bre’asia Hayward, Kaylee Hill, Grace Hoftman, Makalia Jenkins, Maikayla Josling, Emilie Lewis, Katie Lewis, Ke’Lexis Love, Salma Luna, Kaylee Meyers, Michael Monroe, Alanna Montgomery, Kyle Palka, Elise Pariseau, Lauren Pariseau, Roberto Rose, Lia Silvas, Bailee Stevens, Teven Thompson-Farrior, Amanda VanOoteghem, Hannah VanOoteghem, Craig van Woudenberg, Brendan White, Jayden Zajac.

I look forward to helping out my community.

— Jonathon Conley, junior

Jonathon Conley said he is excited to get involved in the community.

“I look forward to helping out my community,” Conley said “I am looking forward to seeing what this year will bring.”