Some 18 year olds plan to vote, others do not

The day to vote will be here before we know it. Many of us have been waiting for the day to be able to let our voice be heard, to 18 and finally vote in this year’s presidential election.

We have talked about this our whole lives, asking parents, friends, relatives, and even teachers, “Who are you going to vote for?”

This year is the first election many of us students can place a vote.

It is the first chance that some students can be a political participant, or as some call it, an active member of society.

Although we have been granted the right to vote upon turning 18, some of us do not have the will to exercise it as others may.

Seniors Travis Webb and Noah Galliway have both came to the conclusion that this election is not for them.

Although anticipating their first election they would able to participate in, both were disappointed with this year’s candidates and decided to withhold their act of voting.

Galliway plans to vote in the future, but he does not feel the need to do so this November.

“Indeed,” Galliway said. “I do plan to vote when I’m older, but I don’t believe that any of these representatives would fulfill the position well as our president.”

I wouldn’t vote this year because, personally, I don’t believe any of the candidates are even worth voting for.

— Travis Webb, senior

Webb has a mutual feeling about those who are running.

“I wouldn’t vote this year because, personally, I don’t believe any of the candidates are even worth voting for,” Webb said.

Webb is not sure if he plans to vote in future elections either.

“My decision to vote will depend on who is running and what they said they are going to do to help the U.S.,” Webb said.

Galliway follows the election to a small extent, as well as Webb.

“I focus on the election moderately. I would more if we didn’t have such dirtballs for choices,” Galliway said.

Many of the students view the election with humor. They almost find the candidates a joke.

Even though Webb said he does not plan to vote, he does prefer one candidate more than the others.

“If I had to vote for anyone, I guess it would be Donald Trump,” Webb said.

Galliway thought similarly, considering the circumstances.

“If I did vote, I would choose either Bernie (Sanders) or Trump, but that would be just to prevent Hillary (Clinton) from gaining office,” Galliway said.

Webb has not found his interest in politics yet.

“I wouldn’t say I am interested because I’m not really one to keep up with politics,” Webb said. “But I mean I have always liked political science and economics.”

Galliway feels that an interest in politics is a necessity.

“Politics ultimately run this world, so, yes, I kind of have to be interested in them,” Galliway said.

I think it is extremely important, especially with so many women’s rights being discussed right now. From abortion, to equal pay, to maternity leave, it is so important that women get out and vote.

— Hannah Coon, senior

Although some male students did not feel the desire to vote in this year’s presidential election, a female student feels very strongly about her right to vote.

Senior Hannah Coon finds value in females pursuing their rights, especially voting.

“I think it is extremely important, especially with so many women’s rights being discussed right now,” Coon said. “From abortion, to equal pay, to maternity leave, it is so important that women get out and vote.”

For Coon, since women have earned their vote, it is important that they take full advantage of it.

Coon’s respect for females and their rights has driven her to support Sanders, instead of Trump or Clinton.

“I plan on voting for Senator Sanders, but if it comes down to Clinton or Trump there is no doubt in mind that I would vote for Clinton,” Coon said. “Trump is degrading to women, offensive to minorities, and he would turn his presidency into a reality show. I am embarrassed he is even the nominee.”

Coon found an interest in politics due to her parents, but continues to follow it.

She anticipates voting in her first election.

“I do find interest in politics,” she said. “My parents always have been interested. It affects my life every day.”

She wishes more people would cast a vote since citizens have a right to vote in our democratic society.

“I find it hard to believe there are people that do not care, especially women,” Coon said.