Some seniors skip the school day

The student parking lot is full Friday, April 29, which is the day before prom.
IMAGE / Ave’r McKay

Senior skip day is a tradition at most high schools where seniors, or those who attended prom the Saturday before, skip school that Monday.

Of course, Kearsley Community Schools does not recognize such an event, but many Kearsley seniors did, making their unofficial skip day Monday, May 2.

However, while talking to several teachers and students, many teachers feel that this was one of the smallest senior skip days so far.

Many seniors were at school because of a variety of things: athletics,  senior projects, and being over in allowed absences. In addition, some seniors just did not want to miss school.

The student parking lot on Monday, May 2, which seniors call their skip day has fewer cars than on Friday.
IMAGE / Ave’r McKay
The student parking lot on Monday, May 2, which seniors call their skip day, has fewer cars than on Friday.

Senior Michaella Ford chose to attend school because of a certain class that she could not miss.

“I came to school because I had anatomy, and I could not miss it,” Ford said.

Senior Katherine Winter-Halt chose to attend school because she has already used all nine of her absences.

“I am all out of absences,” Winter-Halt said. “Not coming to school wasn’t really an option for me.”

This is a common reason for students attending school even when they are not expected to, such as senior Shay Moesher.

“I have missed like 60 days of school already,” Moesher said.

In this picture, there seems to be about the same number of cars in both pictures.
IMAGE / Ave’r McKay

Those who skipped did not seem to have a good reason.

“I just did not want to come to school,” senior Gabe Reese said.

Several students came to school for only half of the day or only came for the hours that they deemed necessary.

There were some juniors who felt the need to skip school as well, like Hailey Baltosser.

“I was just extremely tired and felt sick the night before,” Baltosser said. “I came to school after second hour and then left after fourth hour.”

Overall, many seniors did skip school, but this year it seemed that far less students skipped compared to last year.