Every student should consider joining DECA

IMAGE / Nadia Koontz

Kearsley DECA members competed at the DECA International Career Development Conference in Nashville, Tenn.

My freshman year, if you were to ask me what DECA was, I probably would not be able to answer it.

The same goes for my sophomore and junior year.

And maybe even the beginning of my senior year.

Even though I had participated in DECA since my junior year, all I knew was that it was centered around business.

Today, as my membership has come to an end, I would say it is much more than that.

Yes, it is business-centered and if you were to visit the DECA website, it would tell you, “DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.”

But that simply does not do it justice.

Senior Noah Jankowski has participated in DECA since the beginning of his junior year.

“I believe DECA is an amazing organization that allows high school students to develop business, analytical, and networking skills that they can utilize in the world,” Jankowski said. “If I had known what DECA was and how it operated coming into high school, I would have competed all four years of my high school career. Unfortunately, I only competed junior and senior year.”

Jankowski encourages others to take the opportunity of participating in DECA early.

Seniors Noah Jankowski (left), Tyler Phipps, and Liam Grathoff get ready to compete at DECA states in Detroit.
IMAGE / Lance Blight
Seniors Noah Jankowski (left), Tyler Phipps, and Liam Grathoff get ready to compete at the DECA state conference in Detroit.

“I stress anyone interested in business, finance, marketing, and hospitality to join DECA,” Jankowski said. “It will have a huge impact on your life.”

DECA truly allows you to learn so much more than what a simple marketing book can.

You are able to go above and beyond the classroom by traveling, networking, and gaining skills essential to the real world.

My senior year, I was able to establish a T-shirt heat-pressing business and show it in Nashville, Tenn., at the DECA International Career Development Conference.

DECA was able to help me grow as an individual, and it also helped turn me into a leader.

Senior Santino Guerra was able to pursue and experience a leadership role as vice president of chapter development.

Guerra assisted the district and state conferences during his position.

He communicated with members, held district council meetings, gave speeches, and ran the main Michigan DECA social media account.

Guerra said that he was the bridge between the administration and the members.

“The reason why I am so passionate about DECA is because it gives you a new outlook that you would never gain sitting in a classroom,” Guerra said. “It allows you to interact with members around your school, state, and even people from around the world.”

Senior Santino Guerra wears his uniform as DECA Vice President of Chapter Development
IMAGE / Ms. Yolanda Solis
Senior Santino Guerra wears his uniform as DECA vice president of chapter development

Guerra then went on to tell of his favorite part about DECA.

“My favorite part about DECA is interacting with people — business topics can stay the same, but the people around you constantly evolve,” Guerra said.

Guerra then mentioned that the atmosphere is something every student should discover for themselves.

“The atmosphere of a conference is something you must witness firsthand, so you can truly understand the passion members have and share among themselves,” he said. “My only hope for underclassmen is to be able to share their own experiences with this organization.”

From my personal experiences as a DECA member, I was given opportunities that sitting in a classroom could never offer.

And I was given a DECA family that I will always remember.

I was able to travel to Nashville, meet people from other countries, be competitive, become a leader, and earn awards for my school.

This organization brings a hard working and professional side out of everyone who works in it.

DECA has been a part of some of my most fondest memories so far in my life, and I am forever grateful.

I encourage every student to consider joining DECA because it is everything but regrettable.