Flood has bowling in her blood

Alexxa Flood, senior.
IMAGE / Mrs. Amy Flood
Alexxa Flood, senior

Many seniors are focusing on their future and remember the good times they had in high school.

As this chapter in the seniors lives closes, many are starting to wonder where they will go next.

Alexxa Flood, unlike some seniors, has a plan for herself.

When you have your first interaction with Flood, you instantly realize that she is straight forward and outgoing. She is not afraid to tell you what is on her mind.

Flood, 18, has achieved numerous achievements during her years through school, such as winning three state bowling championships, two regional titles, and three league title, In addition, she has been on the honor roll for her whole life.

Her bowling career at Kearsley garnered Flood many individual honors, as well. She received first team All-State honors her senior year, as well as being named to the Academic All-State team. She also made second team All-State her junior season and was named All-League her sophomore, junior, and senior years.

As a child, Flood’s interest in bowling came from her grandfather Jim Flood, who was a professional bowler.

The state finalists stand with their coach: Barbara Hawes (left), sophomore; Hannah Ploof, senior; Rob Ploof, coach; Karlee Griffin, sophomore; and Alexxa Flood, senior.
IMAGE / Mr. David Fairman

Since Flood’s grandfather was a pro, she really looked up to him and wanted to be just like him.

Flood felt like bowling better prepared her for life. Bowling has allowed her to make lifelong friends and meet great people along the way.

“I think it prepared me for the next chapter in my life and for college,” Flood said. “Meeting a lot of friends through it helped me become more outgoing.”

Flood plans to attend Lincoln Memorial University in the fall. LMU is in Harrogate, Tenn.

Flood said she chose LMU because she liked the environment and Tennessee is a beautiful place.

Flood also believes that LMU will improve her bowling tremendously and she will become a much better bowler.

Flood received a scholarship that will be paying for a majority of her schooling, and her new bowling coach, Mr. Joe Slowinski, said she will be a great addition to the team.

Flood is excited to start her college career and move to a new state.

Although she is nervous to move to Tennessee, she is excited.

Flood’s parents always knew that she was going to be successful in whatever she was going into.

Mrs. Amy Flood, Alexxa’s mother, said she has always known Alexxa was going to do well in life.

“From the start, I realized she would always do good in whatever she did in life. School being one of them, ” Mrs. Flood said. “She’s always done well academically and hasn’t had many bumps in the road.”

Flood’s teachers believe that she will have no problems adjusting to the new environment in Tennessee. They believe that she is a hard worker who will excel in anything she does.

During Flood’s signing, many teachers and friends, along with family showed up to support her.

Senior Alexxa Flood (center) signs her Letter of Intent to bowl at Lincoln Memorial University with her parents.
IMAGE / Deitrick Young

Flood has always had a supportive family, and she believes that is why she is as successful as she is today.

“I was lucky enough to have a family that always supported me and pushed me to be the best that I can be,” Flood said.

She will be finishing high school with a 3.68 GPA and as an honorable athlete and student.

Flood has inspired many  younger athletes and hopes that she can continue to inspire all the people that look up to her, even in Tennessee.

Although Flood’s high school career is ending, her bowling career is just starting.