Students recommend spring break destinations

Spring break destinations are on the minds of many eager families and students now that the winter’s snow has thawed, and families are ready to get away from work and school and just take a break.

These are five spots to spend your spring break that you will not regret.

Fort Myers

Fort Meyers is a beautiful place to visit.
IMAGE / Flickr

The City of Palms is located in south Florida on the banks of the Caloosahatchee River.

Fort Myers is known for its beautiful deep-sea fishing, enduring golf courses, and the famous white sandy beaches and islands.

The city’s downtown waterfront promises new restaurants, shops, and pure enjoyment.

Attractions include the winter estates of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison, as well as nearby Naples and the islands of Sanibel and Captiva.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Foco enjoyed her time spent at the City of Palms. As for Focos’ time there, it was experienced a little differently.

I would recommend people to go to Fort Myers because it is absolutely beautiful and a relaxing place.

— Kaitlyn Foco, sophomore

“I am on the varsity softball team and every year we go to Fort Myers for conditioning,” Foco said.  “I like that Florida allowed us to bond and grow as a team.”

Foco thinks highly of Fort Myers.

“I would recommend people to go to Fort Myers because it is absolutely beautiful and a relaxing place,” she said.

Foco said her favorite part is going to the beach and taking the softball team’s annual spring break photo.

According to Foco, when you go to Fort Myers, you definitely should go parasailing.

Panama City Beach

Panama City Beach, with its pure white sand and warm Gulf waters, attracts everyone from spring breakers to singles and families.

Families will not want to miss the fun and educational benefits while on this trip. There are plenty of things to visit, like the huge Shipwreck Island water park or the hundreds of animals and plants at Zoo World.

Golfers will also be more than satisfied in the City of Panama. There are plenty of complex courses for the golfer who cannot get enough.

The 27 miles of beautiful oceanfront give you a reason to come back.

Orlando

Orlando, Fla., is a great place to visit on spring break.
IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons

From the Magic Kingdom to simply channeling your inner child, Orlando stays true to its promise of adventure.

Come spend a day or week exploring the world-famous Disney theme parks, get splashed by the whales at Sea World, or scream your head off and have your stomach turned upside down on a Universal Studios roller coaster.

For a less adrenaline-filled afternoon, simply relax on Orlando’s sandy white beaches.

Sophomore Bailee Stevens went to Orlando when she was younger and there were a few things she will never forget.

“I (have) went to all Disney parks,” Stevens said, “and like every other girl, I loved Magic Kingdom. I have dreamed of it since I was a little girl.”

That was not the only thing that left Stevens with unforgettable memories.

“I liked Hollywood studios, but my favorite ride was the tower of terror because it was exhilarating, as are all the rides there,” she said.

Stevens gives this spring break destination a thumbs up.

Cancun

Cancun is the perfect place to visit if you like to spend time at the beach,
IMAGE / Flickr

Sunny Cancun has much more to offer than its party-town reputation.

There are plenty of gorgeous, family resorts that cater to spring breakers or families who want to experience the tropical climate.

Come relax at Cancun, Mexico, as you sink into the sand and admire the deep-blue ocean.

Cancun will leave you with a bronze tan you will not forget, as long as you remember your sunscreen, for Cancun’s all-time high temperatures with plenty of sunshine during spring break.

Jamaica

Is there anything better than relaxing in the sandy beaches and soaking in the Jamaican sun? Only if your island vacation has a bit of adventure.

Commonly known as “the land of wood and water,” Jamaica’s forests feature hiking adventures and incredible bird watching.

History lovers can the visit the sites of Trelawny, and Montego Bay is perfect for snorkeling and getting all your shopping necessities.

Junior Dante Schwartz said Jamaica is a great country.

Schwartz expressed how much he and his family fell in love with Jamaica after one time.

“My family has been to Jamaica two times,” he said. “My parents always wanted to go, and after the first time we all loved it so much we went back a second time.”

He said he fell in love with the scenery as well as the people.

“My favorite part of Jamaica was experiencing the huge differences in everyday life, (like) the dialect they spoke in,” Schwarz said. “The driving is crazy, and people don’t have nearly as much as we have.”

Schwartz makes sure to give people a heads up before going there. He said many poor people from Jamaica will beg from the tourists.

Pullquote Photo

I would recommend going there (Jamaica) in a heartbeat. Pictures don’t do the island justice. It is so beautiful there.

— Dante Schwarz, junior

“My dislike was the attention you get for being a tourist,” he said. “People will sometimes flock to you and ask for money. It’s sad.”

All and all, Schwartz said he hopes to go back.

“I would recommend going there in a heartbeat,” Schwarz said. “Pictures don’t do the island justice. It is so beautiful there.”

Schwarz has a favorite place of his own in Jamaica that he said is an opportunity you cannot pass up — Rik’s Cafe.

“While you’re in Jamaica, you need to go to Rik’s Cafe,” he said. “It’s one of the top places in the world to watch the sunset and you can cliff jump into the ocean there.”

Students at KHS recommend these spring break destinations, so read their experiences, pack your suitcases, grab your sunscreen, and book your 2016 spring break trip of a lifetime.