Teens crochet to keep warm

Senior+Rebecca+Taylor++crochets+in+the+media+center.+

IMAGE / Alicia Konsez

Senior Rebecca Taylor crochets in the media center.

As brisk winter blows upon Michigan, students are left freezing at the bus stop with exposed necks, ears, and hands.

However, some students have picked up a handy skill that will keep them and their friends warm this winter: crocheting.

Many students keep quiet about their crocheting skills because of the stereotype that crocheting is for the elderly.

“You get made fun of for crocheting, but it’s fun,” Dani Doolan, senior, said. Doolan was inspired by her grandmother to begin crocheting at the age of 10.

Doolan crochets because she enjoys making hats and scarves for her friends. She also takes pride in using her skill to help others.

“I have recently been working on crocheting little hats for infants to donate them to hospitals,” Doolan said.

Doolan encourages others to take up crocheting as a hobby.

“It’s a life skill that everybody should learn,” Doolan said. “I know that a lot of people don’t know how to crochet, so it can really come in handy, and it makes you unique.”

Rebecaa Taylor, senior, recently dusted off her crochet hooks and put her hands to work.

“My grandmother taught me when I was 8 years old,” Taylor said, “and I stopped doing it for awhile because I couldn’t get the hang of it. Recently, I picked it up again.”

Taylor has practiced enough that she can crochet while watching “The Walking Dead.”

“I can’t really do it without watching that show,” Taylor said.

Senior Halle Hensley is one of the few students who did not learn how to crochet from their grandmothers.  She learned how to crochet just two months ago.

“I really wanted to learn how to crochet, so I went on YouTube and watched tutorials,” Hensley said.

Within two months, Hensley has made four scarves, a head band, and a hat. Right now she is crocheting scarves for her family and friends for Christmas.

“I feel like everyone will love a nice, warm scarf made with love in every stitch,” Hensley said.