Having a job in high school has pros and cons

IMAGE / Flazingo Photos via flickr

Students are always searching for a way to earn money for the things that they want without having to rely on their parents. Parents often recommend getting a job.

Because of this, many students and parents wonder if having a job takes a toll on students’ grades.

Having a job can offer teenagers an opportunity to be a responsible employee and student.

The majority of teenagers who are employed work at local fast food restaurants.

Siera Shock, junior, has been working at Burger King for eight months.

“It’s not easy (having a job), but if you can be organized and responsible with your homework and studies, it is not as intimidating.

— Siera Shock, junior

“It’s not easy,” Shock said. “But if you can be organized and responsible with your homework and studies, it is not as intimidating.”

Students who struggle to finish daily homework may find it difficult to be successful while having a job.

Maintaining good grades will require the student to be able to focus in order to finish all of their homework and studies needed for the upcoming school day before they are scheduled to show up for work.

Junior Shelby Wiley said that she has seen how hard her employed friends work.

“They will sometimes have three different subjects of homework, along with a test the next day to study for, on top of having to work for three to four hours that night as well,” Wiley said. “Sometimes they struggle, and it shows when they come to school without their homework finished or unprepared for a test.”

But one thing a job can teach is how to manage money.

Minimum wage in Michigan is $8.50 per hour for people 18 years or older, which is more than an average allowance, or no money at all. People that are under 18 get $7.25 per hour minimum.

A first paycheck can be exciting and may make it difficult for students to save the money they just earned.

Being able to decide how much money should be saved and how much can be spent is a skill that will be useful throughout a person’s life.

But high school students who wish to get a job should be prepared for a busy schedule.

A job can offer many opportunities to students who wish to challenge themselves and prepare themselves for life after high school.

Shock said, “Having a job can show you the reality of the work scene, which is where we might be as we go off to college.”