After battling for life at a young age, Plunkey lives life to the fullest

Tommy+Plunkey

IMAGE / Karmen Bishoff

Tommy Plunkey

Making a quality first impression is something that comes naturally to many people.

When first meeting sophomore Tommy Plunkey, you will immediately be drawn to his charismatic smile and laid back attitude.

Plunkey, 16, along with many others, has gone to Kearsley his whole life.

But he carries with him, a memory that has influenced both himself and his family to enjoy every moment of life.

At the age of 4, Plunkey was diagnosed with leukemia.

Being diagnosed at such a young age leaves him with only a few memories, but nonetheless, he is still thankful for what the experience has taught him and his family.

The diagnosis has given Plunkey’s family many moments to reflect on the great things life has offered them.

Tommy Plunkey has always had a love for sports, including football.
IMAGE / Courtesy of Tommy Plunkey

Plunkey’s mother, Ms. Angie Tomczyk, took the opportunity to rely on her faith.

“I remember the awful feeling of not having the control over whether my son lives or dies,” Tomczyk said. “Being a parent, we want to be able to fix things and protect our babies. I saw I couldn’t.”

Knowing she could not do anything to take the pain away from her child, she put her trust in God’s hands and did exactly what the doctors ordered.

“I prayed all the time. I knew that if it was God’s plan to take my son, to give me a plan B,” Tomczyk said. “Behind closed doors, when no one was looking, I would have meltdowns. The fear of the unknown would get the best of me.”

Plunkey’s mother never let her emotions take a toll on his life though. She stayed strong, and her strength was contagious.

Plunkey and his family was surrounded by friends and family members.

“I never could have done it alone,” Tomczyk said.

When Plunkey was first diagnosed he remembers sitting in the hospital bed wondering why he was there. His mom would tell him he had bugs in his blood and the doctors were trying to get them out.

He went through several different treatments.

He was cleared two years later, at the age of 6, and has been cancer free for 10 years.

Tommy Plunkey, joined by Jonathon Conley.
IMAGE / Courtesy of Tommy Plunkey
Tommy Plunkey (left) smiles along with Jonathon Conley, who is also now a sophomore.

His parents have been divorced for most of his life, and he lives with his mom. He is thankful to have a relationship with both his mom and dad.

Plunkey is grateful for his mother and everything she does for him and his family.

He has two brothers, Russell, 19, and Michael, 13. Russell recently joined the Air Force and is stationed in Missouri for tech school, and his younger brother Michael goes to Armstrong Middle School.

“Having a single mother of three boys does get hard sometimes, but we keep pushing.” Plunkey said. “Some times are a lot better than others. But we all know it happens for a reason.”

Having support from his friends and family has given him the confidence to pursue a successful career in high school.

Plunkey has had a successful sports career in football, basketball, and baseball. He quit playing basketball this year to focus on baseball during the off season.

Seniors Noah Jankowski and Liam Grathoff have both had the opportunity to form a relationship with Plunkey through baseball.

Tommy shares pictures on social media with friends and family.
IMAGE / Tommy Plunkey
Tommy Plunkey shares pictures on social media with friends and family.

Jankowski believes that Plunkey will be successful in life.

“For as young as Tommy is, he is a really mature kid,” Jankowski said. “He is on the right path, and I know he will continue to excel in sports and school.”

Grathoff has enjoyed getting to know Plunkey.

“I’ve had the pleasure to get to know him, and he is a genuine guy,” Grathoff said.

Plunkey is looking forward to continuing a career in baseball throughout high school.

Upon talking to Plunkey, it is easy to observe that he is a caring and relaxed person.

He cares a lot about his friends, family, and his future.

With his dirty blond hair swept to the side with headphones in, he walks the halls along with many others. But he walks with a special story that has shaped him into the person that he is today.