Favorite Books of 2024

There are all kinds of books all over the world. They each have a different story and genre, some even trail into a series. Many people like the same types of books and others have their own unique tastes in books.

Junior, Kallie McCallum, enjoys reading all kinds of single books and series. “I have read almost 50 books this year and I love them all, but if I had to pick it would be between The Summer of Broken Rules, The Percy Jackson series, The Crave series, or the Shatter Me series because mix of adventure and romance are amazing,” stated McCallum. She was influenced to read one of the series because her teachers recommended it to her, and it was one of the genres she liked so she decided to try it.

Everyone has their own favorite part in each book that they read. “I would say my favorite part in all books would be when everything goes wrong and the characters need to find a new way to move through their problem. This is my favorite because all of the suspense pulls me further into the book,” exclaimed McCallum. When asked if she would read the books again, she explained,”no, I don’t think I could read any of the books again because I want to keep the feeling the first read, not knowing what would happen next.”

Junior, Margarita Martinez, enjoys reading books and wants to try and start a book club here at KHS next year. She does have her own favorite series. Martinez stated, “The Knockemout Series by Lucy Score, I loved the characters and the way Lucy Score built up the stories.” She was suggested the books by a fellow teacher earlier in the year. “Ms. Malmquist suggested the books to me. She said I would enjoy it since we have similar tastes,” stated Martinez.

Martinez’s favorite part of the Knockemout Series is in the first book. “I loved when Naomi and Knox (from book 1) finally got together. The story build up was so interesting. I also love the way Knox is so protective of Naomi,” she explained. Most people like to read books that they have already read all over again, but some do not. “I would say yes, since it was so good, but I can’t read books more than once because I know what’s going to happen. I ruins the suspense,” expressed Martinez.

Sophomore, Peyton Hinman, loves reading books for the plot and for other aspects of the books. She also has a favorite book for this year. “The Song of Achilles because it was well written and also really entertaining,” states Hinman. Many people have been recommending books they have enjoyed reading all over the internet. Some people have the same taste as others and want to give some of those books a try. “I had seen people recommending it on Tik Tok and had just read The Iliad,” explained Hinman.

Hinman enjoyed reading The Song of Achilles and even has a favorite part. “Probably the very end because while it was sad it was beautiful,” expressed Hinman. Hinman really enjoyed this book and would easily read it again. She said that it was well written and that it got her out of her reading slump.

Sophomore, Brooklyn Hoskey, enjoys factual books and also some other types of books. Her favorite book this year is a book that tells a story from the past. “The Librain of Auschwitz, because it’s a compelling story of the struggles of those who survived. But also how adults did their best for children even in war,” explains Hoskey. She had seen this book in her English teacher’s library and was drawn in by the cover.

Hoskey had enjoyed this book overall and does have a favorite part. She expressed,”The goodbye between Dita and professor Morganstern, because Dita was the only one to understand him in his last moments.” She enjoys reading books all the time and reads some all over again. “Yes, I would read it again! Mostly due to the amazing development of these people,” declared Hoskey.

Many people enjoy reading whether it’s just in school or in their free time also. Do you enjoy reading? What’s your favorite book this year?