How Are Some Student Athletes Preparing for Girls Track Season 2024?

Spikes
Spikes

Track season is coming up very soon. Many students run track because they think it is fun or to stay in shape. Before track starts, students begin running and lifting weights in preparation for tryouts. Some even run indoor track which is new this year at Kearsley High School. 

Senior Emma Fessler, and sophomores Vanessa Hood and Neveah Pierce, participate in indoor track to get ready for this upcoming track season. During the off-season, runners stay in shape by running and doing workouts.  

Fessler has been preparing for the upcoming track season and states, “I have been doing long runs for the past few weeks and soon I’ll be doing harder workouts.” She also mentioned she loves going on long runs with her friends.

Fessler was questioned if she thinks she’s ready for her senior track season. She responded with, “I think I’m getting close to being ready. Training is hard, but I want to mentally prepare myself”.

Track can be a difficult sport because it is not just about improving how fast you can run, it is also a mental sport. The sport track requires you to focus on your breathing while you are running and pacing yourself to the finish line. 

Hood was asked what she is doing to get ready for the season in the spring. She expressed, “I am lifting weights three days of the week to build muscle.” Hood is ready for the season because she wants to improve all of the times in her events.

Pierce was questioned about what she is doing to prepare for this season and she answered, “I am running indoor track.” She mentioned she is preparing for the season with other people. When asked if she thinks she is ready for this track season, she replied, “yes I am because indoor track is helping me prepare and I’m excited for track.” 

Students who run track prepare in many different ways. They may run indoor track, go on long runs, lift weights, prepare with someone, or even alone. Track can be a tough sport. Many runners prepare for the season before practices start. When it comes time for practice, preparation can give runners a head start in gaining muscle, knowing how to pace themselves, and knowing how to control their breathing.  Kearsley is sure to have a great upcoming season.