Kearsley Students Balance School and Jobs

Work and School Balance
Work and School Balance

Many people have jobs all over the world including teenagers. There are all kinds of jobs all over like fast food or working in retail. High school is already busy with schooling, sports, and extracurricular activities. When adding a job on top of school, it can be challenging for some people.

Sophomore, Leanne Nunnemaker was asked where she works and why she chose it.  She replied, “McDonald’s, because I needed a job.” Some high school students get a job because they need a job,  not because they want one. Nunnemaker is balancing work and school okay. For some people, it can be a bit challenging to balance work and school, while others may have better luck.

Junior, Saul Granados, is currently enrolled at Kearsley High School and is employed. He commented, “I am currently working at Lucky’s Steakhouse in Davison. I chose to work there because my parents have a good bond with the manager, therefore I was able to get the job.” Some people have an easier time getting hired at a job because they have connections or prior experience. On the other hand, it might be a bit more difficult for others.

For some people, it is easier to balance school and work. Granados states, “right now I’d say it’s pretty easy because I’m not playing sports right now, so I can focus on the more important aspects of my future.” He followed up by saying, “yes it is easy, I’ve gone to school for a while now so I am used to the long boring 6 hours, and that’s how I picture work. Work does take up a lot of time out of other fun things during high school years.”

Granados was asked what advice he would give future students looking to get a job while enrolled in high school. He replied, “my advice for a student who is looking for a job during school, is look for a job that won’t stress you out and one that you truly enjoy, but there is always time to improve so don’t worry too much about it.” Work doesn’t always have to be a pain or boring, there are jobs out there that a person can work at and still enjoy.

Senior, Liberty Cronenvhet is currently working at Crossroads Village and is enrolled here at Kearsley High School. She thought it would be fun to work at Crossroads Village because she enjoys visiting the village.

Cronenvhet is balancing work and school very well. She commented, “during fall season I would go to school during the weekdays and work on the weekends. With the free time I had, I made sure to work hard to finish assignments, homework, and anything that needed to be done that wasn’t school related. It’s definitely stressful and tiring, but it’s what you have to do if you want to pass school and make money.”

Cronenvhet gave some inside advice about the balance of work and school life. She added, “make sure you understand that you can’t neglect either one. You can’t work well, but do poor in school, or do great in school and neglect working hard at your job.” Working and attending school can be pretty hard, but it can also be easy if you stay dedicated and manage your time wisely.