What makes you SMILE?

The smile meter

IMAGE / flicker

The smile meter

“Smile,” a horror movie that was released on September 30th, 2022, is sending everyone chills.

The movie is a supernatural psychological horror movie directed by Parker Finn. The film stars include: Sosie Bacon, Jessie T. Usher, Kyle Gallner, Caitlin Stasey, Kal Penn and Rob Morgan.

This film is about Dr. Rose Cotter (Sosie Bacon), who witnessed a traumatic incident that involved a patient of hers, and began to experience what the patient had been mentioning. She can’t seem to explain what she has been going through. As the occurrences keep happening, it starts to take over her life. Rose realizes that in order to escape this new reality, she must face her past. The movie consisted of a monster that went from person to person based off of that persons trauma.

Before the movie came out, I asked people what they thought about the trailer and what had peaked their interest about it.

“The thing I liked most about watching the trailer was the jump scares. It scared me and it made me verbally scream, so that made me want to watch it the most,” stated sophomore Maggie Martinez.

Not everyone enjoys the rush of adrenaline that you get from horror films, but finds interest in the story lines like sophomore Allison Bailey.

“Although the trailer is very eye-catching and thrilling, my imagination doesn’t do well when it comes to horror movies. Even from the trailer seeing the slight jump scares made my skin crawl,” expressed Bailey.

After the movie came out to theaters, I caught a few people after the movie had came out asking them what their thoughts were about the film.

Sophomore Maison Mannor couldn’t stop talking about his love for the film. He had explained all of horrifying moments throughout the film that he thought were exhilarating. He spoke to me about his favorite moment that scared him the most.

“A moment that scared me the most was when the monster made her hallucinate and think that she had killed it, but in fact she did not and it ended up taking over her body and traumatizing her friend,” explained Mannor.

There were a lot of moments when students were creeped out by the film. Sophomore Ethan Walters was surrounded by a feeling of uneasiness while watching this.

“I really enjoyed watching the movie. I thought the weirdest part about the movie was in the beginning when the psychologist was in the room with her patient and the monster took over her body, which caused her to harm herself,” exclaimed Walters.

IMDb overall gave the movie a 7/10 with 77% on rotten tomatoes. I agree with this because overall the movie left everyone shocked by the ending. I would never watch it again because of how many jump scares there were, but overall it was a very good psychological horror film.