Sophie is Inspired By The Sounds of Music

IMAGE / Brodie Dustin

Sophie stands in the journalism class making a heart with her friend Sophomore Ruby Lopez

Sophia (Sophie) Hall, a sophomore at Kearsley High School, has been inspired by music all her life.

She hasn’t always been a Kearsley student, but she has always been inspired by music.

“I went to Waterbrook Christian, and after that, I went to Genesee Christian, and now I am here,” said Hall.

She had gotten into music because of her parents’ influence. Her mom used to have her watch Little Einsteins, an animated TV series that was educational and musical.

Her dad took her places and music would always play in the car; His music was from his childhood, which consisted of a lot of 70’s and 80’s music

Hall remembers a song that he had shown her once.

“A song that reminds me of him, either ‘Daniel’ by Elton John or ‘We’re Going to be Friends’ by The White Stripes.”

Her current music taste isn’t so influenced by her parents though, as she gravitated towards other genres.

“A lot of influence from my friends and social media like TikTok and YouTube. It’s a little bit of everything. It’s whatever I’m feeling that day. My playlist is 101 hours long. My top genres are indie and rock,” Hall said.

When asked about her love for music, she spoke about how it affects her mood.

“There’s such a wide variety of it and whatever my mood is, there’s always a song I can listen to,” Hall said.

Her favorite song is not only sentimental, but it’s also emotional.

“My top song would be ‘Sparks’ by Coldplay, it holds a lot of sentimental value. It makes me cry every time and it never gets old no matter how much I listen to it,” Hall said.

Music has played a monumental role in her life, which she says gives her entertainment and comfort.

“It keeps me distracted; When I’m bored I would listen to music. It’s helped me through a lot. If I’m in a bad head space it can help me cool down,” Hall said.

Her love for music was also shown when the question arose about her playing any instruments.

“Yes, I played clarinet for like 3 or 4 years in middle school. I switched schools and was too nervous to join band in a new school. I also was forced to get guitar lessons and I hated it. But I’m getting back into it recently. It’s less stressful to teach myself. It’s easier to learn in my own time.”

Sophie has always listened to music and has continued to listen to music as time goes on. Whether it is just to pass some time, or she needs some kind of escape, she knows that she can always rely on music to be there for her when she needs it.