Christian named Hornet of the Month

IMAGE / Courtesy of Mr. Kevin Walworth

Mr. Kelly Christian (center) accepts the Hornet of the Month award from Board of Education President DesRae Joubran and Superintendent Kevin Walworth Tuesday, Feb. 11.

KHS’ staff prides itself on preparing students for their later lives. Mr. Kelly Christian, science teacher, was honored as Hornet of the Month for his service to KHS Tuesday, Feb. 11.

Mr. Kevin Walworth presented Christian with the Hornet Award and a gift card reward.

Walworth believes the Hornet Award program gives back to the staff members who help Kearsley thrive.

“This has been a wonderful program that says ‘thanks’ to those staff members that go above and beyond,” Walworth said. “Winners from the last two years included maintenance staff, para-professionals, interventionists, teachers, secretaries, an in-school suspension monitor, and an administrator.”

It is deemed an honor to nominated for the award, let alone to win it.

Considerate and fun, Walworth said Christian’s character makes chemistry fun for all.

“This month, Mr. Christian was nominated by one of the other teachers at the high school for always staying after school with students and helping them understand the complex concepts of chemistry,” Walworth said. “Mr. Christian always tries to make chemistry fun with his cool experiments and demonstrations.”

Walworth believes Christian earned Hornet of the Month for his leadership skills in the science department and his fun experiments.

“Whether he is blowing up pumpkins or using dry ice to make Dippin’ Dots, he always tries to make chemistry come to life in his classroom,” Walworth said. “In addition, Mr. Christian is a leader among his peers, leading the KHS in the science department as the department chairperson.”

Christian believes the award can go to anyone and that receiving the award was an honor.

“This award made me feel humble,” Christian said. “There are so many people in our district that can receive this award and I was honored to be this month’s Hornet.”

Christian feels that nominating people for this award is key to recognizing people who improve the district.

“Many staff can be nominated in this program and I feel like there are many people who deserve it,” Christian said. “Nominations are very important and everyone should nominate if they feel like the person deserves it.”

Christian acknowledged other people who were nominated for the award.

“I know I am not the only one who helps out the students here,” Christian said, “so knowing I was selected I happily took it.”