Emerick voted Blueberry Ambassador Teacher of the Year

IMAGE / Courtesy of Mr. Casey Killingbeck

Ms. Courtney Emerick (right) was honored as Teacher of the Year at the Blueberry Ambassador Awards on Tuesday, May 7.

Random acts of kindness are simple ways to make someone’s day better.

Ranging from simply holding the door open for someone or buying them lunch, any small task can improve someone’s mood.

Ms. Courtney Emerick, middle school health teacher, was voted Blueberry Ambassador Teacher of the Year at the 2019 Blueberry Ambassador Awards on Tuesday, May 7.

The award allows Emerick to award a $6,000 scholarship to a graduating senior attending UM-Flint.

Mr. Casey Killingbeck, middle school principal, admires Emerick’s ability to connect and work with students.

“Ms. Emerick does an excellent job providing our students opportunities to give back to their community,” Killingbeck said. “Her leadership has been greatly appreciated, and she is very deserving of the Blueberry Teacher of the Year.”

Through the project, students are openly encouraged to give back to their community.

We were doing random acts of kindness because it was the right thing to do.

— Chloe Vollmar, senior

Seniors Halle Parish, Chloe Clarambeau, Mickeely Dias, Emma Bishoff, Chloe Vollmar, Mackenzie Ramey, Robby Bausick, and myself were members of the campaign in eighth grade when it began at Armstrong Middle School.

“We had the opportunity to start improving our district since we were the first group able to be Blueberries,” Bishoff said.

The eight members were chosen by Emerick to be a part of the group and continue to reflect on the impact she made on them as they finish high school.

Emerick is supportive of her students, which was something Parish was quick to note.

“She (Emerick) was there for every student in different ways,” Parish said. “For me, if I ever had a problem, I knew I could go to her and talk to her and she would walk me through anything and guide me into the right direction.

“She gave all of her students all her love. She was an inspiration.”

Being involved in the group, Clarambeau feels it shaped her leadership abilities.

“Being a part of the Blueberry group under leadership is what encouraged a lot of my leadership choices throughout high school,” Clarambeau said. “I would not be as confident in my heart for people and my acts of service without her.”

Clarambeau cherished her time spent with Emerick, as she was also her health teacher in middle school.

“Ms. Emerick was such an awesome teacher. Not only does she care so much about her students, but she is so encouraging toward them as well,” Clarambeau said.

She (Emerick) was always so willing to help people and never made judgments on anyone. No matter who you were or what you did, she was always there to help you.

— Mackenzie Ramey, senior

Ramey also had Emerick for health and said that Emerick has always been one of her favorite teachers.

“Ms. Emerick has always been one of my favorite teachers. She taught me kindness and acceptance,” Ramey said. “She was always so willing to help people and never made judgments on anyone. No matter who you were or what you did, she was always there to help you.”

One lesson that Emerick always reminded her students of was the importance of treating everyone the same, no matter where they come from.

“She always emphasized — that I think is so important — treating all people with the respect that they deserve,” Clarambeau said. “And with that, small acts can go a long way.”

Dias credits Emerick for her abilities to encourage others to impact the world.

“She pushed me to be the leader that I am today, and without the guidance I would not have gone for so many opportunities (as) I did,” Dias said. “Ms. Emerick pushed you to never judge someone because you never know what they go through. She made going to school worth it.”

It was reinforced often that it’s important to do kind acts because it’s the right thing to do, not to be acknowledged.

Vollmar felt this was the most important lesson taught in the project and said Emerick held each student to this standard.

“Being selfless was a key lesson that came with being a Blueberry,” Vollmar said. “We were doing random acts of kindness because it was the right thing to do. Emerick reminded us this often and continued to share her blueberry moments with us back in eighth grade.”