‘Avengers: Endgame’ dusts the competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

"Avengers: Endgame" was the finale to the third phase in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

IMAGE / Jonathen Hart

IMAGE / Jonathen Hart

IMAGE / Jonathen Hart

This story contains spoilers for the movie “Avengers: Endgame.”

On Friday, April 26, “Avengers: Endgame” ended phase three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe off with a bang.

This was the fourth Marvel movie the Russo brothers have directed, along with “Captain America: Winter Soldier,” “Captain America: Civil War,” and “Avengers: Infinity War.”

“Avengers: Endgame” included returns from multiple characters of the series.

The movie showcased the conclusion to the longest anticipated rivalry of the Marvel universe.

It shows “Earth’s mightiest heroes” facing off against Thanos in hopes to find the infinity stones and change everything from when Thanos snapped in “Infinity War.”

The Avengers find out where Thanos is located after using the stones to wipe out half of every living thing. They ask him where he placed the stones and he explains that he used the stones to destroy the stones.

Thor then proceeds to use his Stormbreaker axe to slice off Thanos’ head saying, “I went for the head,” a reference to “Infinity War.”

Flash forward five years and the Avengers’ world is normal until a rat found inside of Ant-Man’s van turns on the Quantum Tunnel and brings back Ant-Man, who was stuck in the quantum universe for five years.

Ant-Man arrives at the Avengers’ headquarters, tells them everything he has been through, and convinces them that the only way to change the past is to time travel.

The Avengers discover “pym particles,” which allow time travel, and they split up to find the stones.

Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and Ant-Man travel to 2014 New York to look for the Time Stone, Mind Stone, and Space Stone.

Hulk and Ant-Man gain the Time and Mind Stone but Iron man and Captain America run into a problem and travel to 1970 to collect the Space Stone.

Rocket the Raccoon and Thor travel to Asgard to get the Reality Stone.

Black Widow and Hawkeye travel to Vormir to collect the Soul Stone, but face a difficult decision.

The Avengers meet back at headquarters to assemble a new infinity gauntlet to reverse everything that happened five years ago.

They create the new gauntlet and argue on who should put it on and reverse everything. Hulk steps up and says he is the only one who can put it on because he wouldn’t die.

Hulk snaps his fingers, reversing all the changes Thanos inflicted five years earlier.

Captain America stares down Thanos and his army with confidence as he hears Falcon in his ear piece. Falcon has reappeared from dust along with everyone who died in “Infinity War.”

The Avengers fight the army and get the infinity gauntlet to take the stones back in time. Thanos gets a hold of it, and Iron Man fights him over the gauntlet until Thanos throws Iron Man off and snaps his fingers.

Surprisingly, Iron Man zips into frame with all the infinity stones and snaps his fingers, making Thanos and his army turn to dust.

But Iron Man is fatally injured.

Spider-Man and Iron Man’s wife, Pepper Potts, talk to him, knowing his end is near.

Iron Man’s Arc Reactor powers off, signaling his demise.

Freshman Simon Powers liked the movie and how it ended the franchise.

“The movie was as expected,” Powers said. “I was able to guess things that would happen but also surprised by other things. It was a great way to bring everything full circle and ending the way people wanted or didn’t want.”

I rate this movie a 10 out of 10.

Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a 95 percent while IMDb rates the movie with 8.9 out of 10 stars.

I feel both of these websites gave fair ratings for the movie.

About the Contributor
Jonathen Hart, Reporter

Birthday: July 27, 2004
Hobbies/Interests: Football, work, and wrestling.
Favorite Quote: "Your voice can change the world." - Barack Obama
...