Exam exemptions no longer available for Class of 2019 and beyond

IMAGE / Mr. Darrick Puffer

After just hearing that he won’t be able to use exam exemptions this year, anger gripped senior Lance Hawkins.

This year, seniors are in for some bad news.

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, has decided to get rid of exam exemptions for the Class of 2019 and those to come.

Students who score above average on the SAT would normally get four exemptions, but not anymore.

After countless days of being bothered by students wondering when they will get their exemptions, Wiskur and the Board of Education have decided to get rid of them.

When asked about his reasoning behind the decision, Wiskur said, “Honestly, we’re just tired of it. It takes too much work and students will not leave us alone about them.”

This is a huge change for students, especially for those counting on the exemptions.

I studied so much for the SAT and was so excited to use my exemptions. The fact that they would do this without warning anyone is infuriating.

— Lance Hawkins, senior

Senior Lance Hawkins is furious about the new rule.

“I really can’t believe this,” Hawkins said. “I studied so much for the SAT and was so excited to use my exemptions. The fact that they would do this without warning anyone is infuriating.”

Seniors that scored well on the M-Step will not be receiving the remaining two exemptions either.

Many seniors — especially those that were counting on all six exemptions — were excited about not having to come to school during exam days.

Wiskur feels getting rid of exemptions will be a good motivator for the seniors.

“Honestly, seniors miss enough school,” Wiskur said. “With all this senioritis going around, this will be good for them.”

Seniors aren’t the only class upset with the new rule.

Junior Noel Gagne said, “I was going to put everything I had into the SAT, but not gonna lie, this made me lose some motivation.”

This new rule will most likely start an uproar among students, and administrators are in for a handful with complaints.

Disclaimer — This story is made up and is completely fictitious. Don’t believe a word of it. April Fools!