‘Know Your Status’ offers students free STI testing

The+Michigan+Medical+Center+is+located+in+the+600+Hallway.+The+clinic+will+hold+an+STI-screening+event+called+Know+Your+Status+on+Thursday%2C+April+4%2C+and+Friday%2C+April+5.+

IMAGE / Krista Staley

The Michigan Medical Center is located in the 600 Hallway. The clinic will hold an STI-screening event called “Know Your Status” on Thursday, April 4, and Friday, April 5.

This spring, the Michigan Medical Center in Kearsley High School is holding an event called “Know Your Status” to make it available for students to voluntarily and confidentially get tested for sexually transmitted infections.

The free STI-testing opportunity will be held Thursday, April 4, and Friday, April 5, and is completely confidential and voluntary.

Any student, or anyone 21 and under, is able to be tested.

Miss Megan Wolf, medical assistant, feels the event has much value for students.

Getting tested is good for your well-being, especially those that are regularly, sexually active.

— Miss Megan Wolf, medical assistant

“It is very important for students to know their status,” Wolf said. “Getting tested is good for your well-being, especially those that are regularly, sexually active. We want students to be responsible and safe.”

Last year, the health center had a related opportunity referred to as “Pee for Pizza.”

The event was held in hopes of students coming to get tested not only for the sake of their health but to also understand the importance of safe sex.

Last year, 107 students voluntarily tested for STIs and received a slice of pizza.

Aside from the offer of free screening, the health center also offers sexual education to those in need and is open to provide community resources that will help people access needed services.

Ms. Andrea Rossi, nurse practitioner, hopes the event will increase students’ comfort using the clinic.

“Many students do not realize how easy it is to get tested,” Rossi said. “We want students to feel comfortable utilizing our clinic, not only for STI testing, but for all health needs.”