Hunt’s classes create Halloween cards for fourth-graders

IMAGE / Mrs. Rae Puffer

Mrs. Rae Puffer’s fourth-grade class at Fiedler Elementary shows off its Halloween cards on Friday, Oct. 27. The cards were made by high school students from Ms. Diane Hunt’s classes. Hunt’s classes also donated candy to the fourth-graders for Halloween.

Mrs. Diane Hunt — psychology, sociology, and math teacher — requested that her students make decorative Halloween cards for the students of Mrs. Rae Puffer, fourth-grade teacher.

The high school students wrote each card to a fourth-grader of their choice, making each card special and ensuring that each student would receive one.

Puffer, who teaches at Fiedler Elementary, invited each student to the front of the class by name to hand them their cards.

“I called each student up to receive their Halloween card.  I would hold the card up and there were many ‘Ooooos’ and ‘Ahhhhhs’ at the artwork and creativity of the cards,” Puffer said.

Upon receiving the cards, the children were elated. Each orange and black card warmed the hearts of the children, helping to increase the students’ Halloween spirit before the big day.

My students were very surprised, and then very excited, that they were receiving Halloween cards from actual high school students.

— Mrs. Rae Puffer, fourth-grade teacher

Puffer witnessed the happiness that crossed her students’ faces.

“My students were very surprised, and then very excited, that they were receiving Halloween cards from actual high school students,” Puffer said. “A lot of students mentioned how very thoughtful it was to receive their cards. The students really loved that the card was made out personally to them.”

The cards reminded the students that Halloween is quickly approaching and the night of costumes and candy will soon be here for them to enjoy.

For the students in Puffer’s class, the Halloween fun is just beginning.

“My students are very excited for Halloween,” Puffer said. “They are able to wear their costumes to school tomorrow and are already talking about what they are going to wear.”

The fourth-graders will have a parade around their school in the morning and then change out of their costumes.

“The students have to change out of their costumes before they go to lunch and recess,” Puffer said, “but my plan is to continue with some fun Halloween activities in the afternoon. ”

The high school students who created the cards knew the benefits of giving the cards to the children.

I’m really happy that they liked them. It warms my heart.

— Makenzie Boillat, junior

Junior Makenzie Boillat sent a card to one of the students in Puffer’s class and is glad to know the children’s reaction.

“I liked that I could make the kids happy,” Boillat said. “I’m really happy that they liked them. It warms my heart.”

Hunt knows that the younger children look up to the older students.

“The kids like that stuff, and it gives them an opportunity to connect with them in a positive way,” Hunt said.