Hollywood’s version of a high schooler isn’t real

Growing up in the era of Disney Channel, many students grew up watching movies that completely exaggerated the high school experience.

“Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen” showed viewers how easy it’s supposed to be to sneak off into the city with your best friend to see your all-time favorite band perform their last show

“Camp Rock” made us all want to go to a summer camp that teaches you how to shine on the stage. You could learn to sing, dance, and maybe even win the affections of one of the most most famous musicians in the world.

The “High School Musical” franchise not only introduced the world to Zac Efron, but permanently etched the lyrics to catchy songs like “Bop to the Top” and “I Gotta Go My Own Way” into our brains and hearts forever.

These movies altered students’ views of high school and now that they’re in high school, they want what they were promised by Hollywood.

One of the most popular movie cliches is singing.

Growing up watching musicals full of songs about teenage romance and SAT prep, it was a disappointment to enter a real-world high school where the only singing done is in the choir room.

If everyone sang their feelings, it would be really cool.

— Madison Burroughs, sophomore

Sophomore Madison Burroughs is a fan of “High School Musical,” and wishes singing in the classroom was a real thing.

“It would be fun if everyone sang all the time,” Burroughs said. “If everyone sang their feelings, it would be really cool.”

Musicals aren’t the only kinds of entertainment that people wish were real. There are thrillers, romantic comedies, and many different types of films that viewers wish they could experience in real life.

Sophomore Kris Perry thinks being the hero in an action film would be interesting.

“If someone came into school and took all of us hostage, I would want to be the hero and save us all,” Perry said.

There are also character stereotypes that would be fun to experience, especially in films set in high schools.

I want the type of uncomplicated, meant-to-be, soulmates-forever, stereotypical movie relationship.

— Alexis Fidler, junior

There are character archetypes that appear in every single film: the jock, the nerd, the popular girl. All of these characters play a role in the Hollywood version of high school.

Junior Alexis Fidler wishes she could be a part of the perfect movie couple.

“I would choose to be the other half of the perfect power couple — the OTP, relationship goals,” Fidler said. “I want the type of uncomplicated, meant-to-be, soulmates-forever, stereotypical movie relationship.”