Choirs conclude year with charismatic passion

The choirs performed in the annual pop concert Monday, May 16, and Tuesday, May 17.
IMAGE / Mr. Rob Seidor

The choirs came together to perform at their final concert of the year, the pop concert, Monday, May 16, and Tuesday, May 17.

I attended the last performance, and the only word I have to describe it is … amazing.

Since this year was Kearsley’s 75th anniversary, the choirs sang songs performed at pop concerts through the years.

The concert began with junior Brandon Hart giving a mini-welcome monologue and then joining the combined choir (Women’s Chorus, Men’s Chorus, A Capella, and Melody Makers) for “Eye of the Tiger.” The performance was a great introduction to the concert.

Next, junior Chris Madison and sophomore Hailey Barrington took the stage to begin “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.” The two did really well and the combined choir came in for a good performance.

Choir men perform "Sweet Caroline."
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Choir men perform “Sweet Caroline.”

The combined choir came in next with “God Gave Me You” by Blake Shelton. The song gave me the chills and all the choirs singing together sounded amazing.

The men of choir then performed Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline.” It was a good performance of a good song, but I wish they were a little louder.

Senior Claire Zuwala took the stage and sang “New Soul” by Yael Naim. I thought it was a great song choice for her voice, and I liked the backup singing.

“Chasing Pavements” by Adele was next, performed by junior Jacobi Wright. It was the best performance I have seen from Wright. His voice fit well with the song.

The combined choir then performed “You’ve Got a Friend” by James Taylor, which I thought had a good sound and was a great performance (despite it not being the song from “Toy Story” that I thought it was when I read the concert program).

Claire Zuwala, senior, sings "New Soul."
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Claire Zuwala, senior, sings “New Soul.”

The next performance was one of my favorites of the night. Sophomore Hunter Haley and the choirs sang “Seasons of Love” from the movie “Rent.”  The song flowed incredibly, and passion emanated through the whole thing.

Cami Clarambeau, junior, came in next for a step-in introduction to “My Boyfriend’s Back” by Angels, since the person who was supposed to begin the song fell ill. Clarambeau did it well, and I loved the dancers.

“Hakuna Matata” from Disney’s “The Lion King” was next. Senior Andrew Allen opened the song, and the combined choirs then joined in. I have always liked that song and the movie it is from, so I naturally loved the performance. It also brought me back to French I, when I sang the song for Foreign Language Variety Night.

Seniors Christen Seidor and Kaylen Lumley then performed “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles. This was one of my favorite songs of the night. The two voices fit perfectly with each other for a beautiful sound. I cried. A lot. (Partially because I was sitting next to Seidor’s mom, who cried, but the performance was filled with emotion).

Seniors Kaylen Lumley (left) and Christen Seidor perform The Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun."
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Seniors Kaylen Lumley (left) and Christen Seidor perform The Beatles’ “Here Comes the Sun.”

The next song, Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You,” performed by senior Leslie Brissette was right up there with “Here Comes The Sun.” I never knew Brissette was capable of performing a song like that. She amazed me.

Josh Parker, junior, then sang “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone. He played the piano, which enhanced the song. His voice also has a nice sound to it and fit the song well.

The choirs sang “Land of a Thousand Dances” by Wilson Pickett. The group passionately sang the fun-filled song.

A song from last year’s pop concert, “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay, was next. I liked it just as much as last year, and it was evident the choir students liked it, too.

“Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson was sung next by the A Capella choir, along with Parker, junior Raven Burge, and seniors Zack Broughton and Justice Free. I wish KHS had a better sound system because I had trouble hearing the song.

Senior Konstantinos Zaravelis opened the traditional “Hallelujah.” Before he began, he dedicated the song to the graduating seniors because — “Hallelujah” — they are finished. I really liked the song. I could feel the dedication to the song and hear the passion in the way it was performed.

Senior Zack Broughton sings "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Bublé.
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Senior Zack Broughton sings “Haven’t Met You Yet” by Michael Bublé.

“Love Song” by Sara Bareilles was then sung by junior Erin Davis. I love that song, and her performance astounded me.

Next, Broughton took the stage. The crowd knew who he was, as they began to cheer when they saw him walk up to the microphone. Broughton sang “Just Haven’t Met You Yet” (Michael Bublé). He was loud and sang the song proudly. I could tell he really liked the song.

The after-school Melody Makers then performed Billy Joel’s “And So It Goes,” with Clarambeau beginning the song. The song had a pretty sound to it. I always love to hear the Melody Makers sing.

The concert came to a stop after that and the traditional rose ceremony began. The seniors left the stage and gave roses to those they love most.

The seniors then stood among the audience as the combined choir sang Lee Ann Womack’s “I Hope You Dance.” Freshman Chloe Clarambeau opened the song. It was very emotional.

Mrs. Renee Kotzian, choir director, also announced which seniors’ names would be written on the plaque for being outstanding choir students. She said it was a hard decision, and the three she chose were Brissette, Broughton, and Adam Chuchvara.

The seniors then gave presents to both Kotzian and Mrs. Linn Lusty, pianist. Kotzian received a potted plant with the seniors’ fingerprints around the top of the pot, and Lusty received a poster with all the seniors’ handprints on it, along with the words to the traditional “Irish Blessing.”

Seniors give Mrs. Renne Kotzian, choir director, and Mrs. Linn Lusty, choir pianist, presents.
IMAGE / Katie Valley
The seniors give presents to Mrs. Renee Kotzian, choir director, and Mrs. Linn Lusty, choir pianist.

My favorite performance of the night was next. The choirs sang “Bohemian Rhapsody,” and it was the best performance by the Kearsley choirs I have seen. They performed magnificently, enthralling me with their passion.

The concert concluded with “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey. Junior Neil Kagerer and sophomore Dakota Bobruk began the song, and then the combined choir sang its heart out. The choir even gave a mini encore after getting a standing ovation from the audience.

Emotion filled the room after the concert. Seniors left the stage to greet their loved ones and many cried because they just performed in their last choir concert.

I love choir concerts.

I had a lot of fun going to every one for the past two years. I would have to say that this one was my favorite. Emotion overwhelmed everyone as the seniors realized they only have a little over a week left until they are finished with high school.

The choirs, along with the band, Lusty, and students from KHS’ band, did an amazing job. I’m happy I got to see it.

Jacobi Wright, junior sings "Chasing Pavements" by Adele.
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Jacobi Wright, junior sings “Chasing Pavements” by Adele.
Senior Adam Chuchvara (left), freshman Claudia Moore, and senior Christen Seidor dance.
IMAGE / Katie Valley
The sopranos sing.
IMAGE / Katie Valley
The sopranos sing.
Leslie Brissette, senior, performs "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Leslie Brissette, senior, performs “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston.
Junior Cami Clarembeau, along with the Melody Makers perform "My Boyfriends Back."
Junior Cami Clarambeau, along with the Melody Makers perform “My Boyfriend’s Back.”
Erin sings Sara Bareilles' "Love Song."
IMAGE / Katie Valley
Erin Davis, junior, sings Sara Bareilles’ “Love Song.”