Human anatomy students trained on CPR

IMAGE / Gracen Nelson

Ms. Dorie Mather (right), school nurse, demonstrates the Heimlich maneuver on senior Liam Grathoff Thursday, April 28. The Human Anatomy and Physiology class was certified in CPR and other first aid training.

“It was enjoyable and beneficial,” senior Liam Grathoff said about the CPR training he received with his classmates.

The Human Anatomy and Physiology students took CPR training Thursday, April 28.

“I feel much more capable and confident of helping someone in need now more than I did before the training,” Grathoff said.

The HAP students spent the school day in the science wing lab, being certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), using a an automated external defibrillator (AED), and first-aid skills.

The first-aid training included learning how to use an EpiPen for allergic reactions and treating wounds.

Senior Bri Finley enjoyed the experience.

“It was fun to be with my classmates and to learn CPR together,” Finley said. “We got to practice different techniques on each other and have fun at the same time.”

The instructors, Ms. Dorie Mather and Ms. Nicole Cameron, demonstrated to 14 students how to perform CPR and other first-aid techniques.

The students also learned from a certified video from the American Heart Association.

Senior Madison Bailey participated and said the training was good skill to learn.

Mrs. Kandy Cousins' HAP class learns to perform CPR on infants.
IMAGE / Gracen Nelson
Mrs. Kandy Cousins’ HAP class learns to perform CPR on infants.

“The CPR and other training we were taught makes me feel more confident in saving someone if they do need CPR or if they are choking,” Bailey said.

The training included instructive videos and practice mannequins that represented adults, children, and infants for each student to use for practice.

Mrs. Kandy Cousins, HAP teacher, believes the training will be beneficial for the students in the future.

“I give the option every year for the HAP students to take CPR training. It will be valuable to each student,” Cousins said. “Most of the students plan to go into the medical field and their jobs will require them to be certified in CPR and first-aid training.”

For additional photos, keep scrolling.

Senior Bri Finley (blue hoodie) strikes senior Haley Flynn on the back, practicing the Heimlich maneuver
IMAGE / Gracen Nelson
Senior Bri Finley (blue hoodie) strikes senior Haley Flynn on the back, practicing the Heimlich maneuver.
Senior Sarah Burns (sitting) is taught infant CPR by Ms. Dorie Mather, school nurse.
IMAGE / Gracen Nelson
Senior Bri Finley practices chest compressions on a CPR mannequin.
IMAGE / Gracen Nelson