Counselors to host Financial Aid Night for parents, students

Mr.+Craig+Golembiewski+advises+students+to+sign+up+for+a+seventh++hour+if+they+need+credits.+

IMAGE / Aaron Haack

Mr. Craig Golembiewski advises students to sign up for a seventh hour if they need credits.

Financial Aid Night is Dec. 9.

The event will serve mostly as an informational meeting for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA.

It will be from 6 to 7:15 p.m. in the media center.

Mr. Craig Golembiewski, guidance counselor, is one of the people in charge of the event.

According to Golembiewski, a “financial aid expert from University of Michigan-Flint will go through all sections of the FAFSA form to help parents and students better understand what it is.”

UM-Flint sends the representative to Financial Aid Night because of Kearsley’s strong relationship with it.

“We have developed a relationship with the University over the past 10 years of Financial Aid Night,” Golembiewski said. “They are happy to provide service to parents as an outreach event.”

Financial Aid Night is aimed specifically at helping seniors.

“A clear audience is the seniors’ parents because most seniors will have a parent fill out the form with them,” Golembiewski said. “But another audience is seniors because, at some point, they may end up filling that form out alone.”

Golembiewski said that note taking is helpful, but students should not need to take too many notes.

“I think (note taking) can help just because the form is so complicated,” Golembiewski said. “The representative might touch on a topic of interest that is valuable to you personally.”

If students or parents have any questions about the event, they may contact Golembiewski at 810-591-5320.