Girls’ Basketball falls short to Swartz Creek

IMAGE / Nadia Koontz

Senior Diane Bond brings the ball up the court against Swartz Creek on Friday, Dec. 11. Bond led the Hornets on offense in their loss.

The girls’ basketball team fell to Swartz Creek 45-40 on Friday, Dec. 11

The Hornets had a strong offensive first half, leading the Dragons 27-16 at the end of the half.

Senior Diane Bond led the Hornets with 12 points, knocking down three 3-pointers, and helped defensively with three steals.

Junior Brandi Morgan also made herself known offensively, scoring 8 points. Junior Brittney Dick and Freshman Zaria Mitchner combined for 14 points, scoring seven apiece.

Freshman MacKenzie Ramey contributed defensively with eight rebounds.

After the first half, the Hornets’ offense fell off, with the team only scoring 13 points.

Swartz Creek took advantage by scoring 29 points in the second half, just enough to get their first win of the season.

With the loss, the Hornets are 2-2 overall and 0-1 in the league.

The Hornets host Flushing on Friday, Dec. 18, at 6 p.m.

The girls' basketball team listens to directions from Coach Matt Gildner during a timeout. The Hornets lost the game to Swartz Creek on Friday, Dec. 11.
IMAGE / Nadia Koontz
The girls’ basketball team listens to directions from Coach Matt Gildner during a timeout. The Hornets lost the game to Swartz Creek on Friday, Dec. 11.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Seniors Karmen Bishoff (12) and Emalie Lewis defend in the paint against Swartz Creek on Friday, Dec. 11.
IMAGE / Nadia Koontz

The student section cheers for the Hornets during the Swartz Creek game on Friday, Dec. 11.
IMAGE / Nadia Koontz

Junior Brittney Dick shoots a free throw against Swartz Creek on Friday, Dec. 11. Dick ended the game with seven points.
IMAGE / Nadia Koontz

Kearsley plays defense against the Dragons in the second half of its game Friday, Dec. 11. The Hornets lost 45-40.
IMAGE / Nadia Koontz

The student section strikes a pose during a timeout in the girls basketball game against Swartz Creek on Friday, Dec. 11.
IMAGE / Nadia Koontz