Theater students, like all students, deserve respect

Autumn+Prescott

Autumn Prescott

Many people only experience theater in their mandatory Christmas plays in elementary school and the field trips they take in middle school to the Whiting. While those brought joy in younger years, a lot of people don’t realize that theater is something you can stick with and learn more about in high school.

KHS offers Theater I and Theater ll, taught by Mr. John Hall. High school thespians can get involved in drama by getting a part in the school play, and they can join the Thespian Society after earning enough points. (Students earn points by being in the cast of a play.)

This program has brought happiness to so many people and yet, students continue to disrespect it. Whether it’s trash talking a past play, not taking the class seriously, or not offering support to their friends who enjoy acting, people aren’t giving this program the respect it deserves.

Without theater, I wouldn’t have had nearly as much fun as I’ve been having during my sophomore year. Without being in “Murder Will Make Him Mine,” I wouldn’t have made so many friends that I cherish so much.

This program has taught me to be confident and express myself. My public speaking skills have improved immensely and finding something I’m passionate about has improved my high school experience more than I could’ve imagined.

If you spend five minutes with Hall, you’ll understand how amazing the class is. It doesn’t feel like work when I’m in his class because he makes it so enjoyable. He’s a great teacher, and when you have a great teacher, the class is always ten times better.

People who were in charge of this year’s play, “Murder Will Make Him Mine,” were fantastic too. Mrs. Renee Kotzian and all the thespian officers brought a smile to my face at every rehearsal, and I’m so grateful to have chosen this path to take in my next two years at KHS.

That being said, I don’t understand how any person could discredit this program. The theater program and everyone in it are a close-knit community. We’re  a dramatic, dysfunctional family, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’ve heard the cliché remarks that theater is “lame” and I’ve heard numerous times that the previous plays weren’t impressive. I want the people who think less of KHS thespians and the productions we put on to realize how much work is put into just one play.

There are tryouts, rehearsals, costume difficulties, light and technical additions, and so many more factors that go into creating a successful show. Anyone who has been in a play can tell you it takes hard work, heart, and commitment.

Everyone in the program works so hard to put on the best show they can. For two months we stress about learning lines and finding props and getting every little thing perfect. Even basic things like staying quiet backstage  and walking with light steps take practice.

After putting in all our hard work, it doesn’t feel good when we hear people bashing the thing that we all care about so much.

Imagine how you would feel if we constantly went around saying how stupid the basketball team was or that anyone on the robotics team must be a moron. Everyone has different passions and we should be supportive of each other.

We should cheer on the football team, be proud of the National Honor Society, and applaud the theater program. We should never discredit any group at our school because we’re all a part of the Hornet family. Even if we go down different paths during our years at KHS, we all deserve respect and support.