Prom attendance policy should be changed

Colton+Joseph

Colton Joseph

Here at KHS, the attendance policy does not allow students who are over nine absences to attend school dances.

Although this is understandable for the minor dances like Homecoming and Snowcoming, this rule should not apply to prom.

It is understandable that a student is ineligible to go due to a previous suspension, but the subject of attendance should not be considered.

This is being handled too strictly.

Prom is known as one of the most special moments in your life and is one of the last high school experiences a student will ever have.

But due to the attendance policy, multiple seniors, including myself, were not able to enjoy the experience of prom.

Students that go over nine absences already have to worry about passing their exams with a 77 percent or higher score.

Why take prom away from these students too?

Why is the discipline so vital that we take away a heartfelt memory from these students?

The stress of having to pass an exam in general is overwhelming, and many students suffer from personal issues every day that make it difficult to make it to school.

Yet the school district still takes away such a huge memory for such a slight problem.

If someone that does not even go to KHS or has graduated can attend the prom, why can’t an enrolled student who happens to have an attendance issue attend prom?

Dropped-out students and people that don’t even go to KHS can attend prom with a guest pass, but as an enrolled student with an attendance issue I cannot.

Personally, I don’t think that makes any sense.

If students that are not even in the senior class can go, why should any senior be restricted?

Attending prom would serve as a form of relief for many of these students because it gives them the time to have fun with their classmates.

Prom is something everyone will look back on for the rest of their lives.

Seeing everyone walk down the red carpet but not doing so myself was diminishing.

It hurt not being able to be a part of this experience, and I hope people realize how absurd this rule is.