Choir’s voices were golden in national competition

IMAGE / Courtesy of Chloe Clarambeau

Seniors (left to right) Niccos Patrick, Chloe Clarambeau, Mary Wheeler, and Robrianna Weatherspoon pose with The Simpson characters during their trip to Orlando

Choir flew to Orlando, Fla., on Wednesday, April 3, for four days of fun and competition. 

Each student raised over $1,400 to attend the trip. The students competed against choirs from across the United States at the Worldstrides Orlando Heritage Festival. 

Melody Makers competed in two categories, chamber group and vocal jazz group. They earned gold in both categories.

Junior Jillian Locke was awarded with the adjudicator award for her solo work in the chamber group competition.

As a chamber group, Melody Makers performed “The Pasture” by Z. Randall Stroope and “Bonse Aba” by Victor C. Johnson.

As a vocal jazz group, the Melody Makers performed “Blue Skies” arrangement by Roger Emerson, “Someone to Watch Over Me” arrangement by Jay Althouse, and “Feeling Good” arrangement by Alan Billingsley. 

IMAGE / Courtesy of Chloe Clarambeau
Seniors Chloe Clarambeau (left) and Brady Perkins pose with their awards at Universal Studios.

Mrs. Renee Kotzian, choir director, was proud of the Melody Makers’ hard work.

“I feel that the performances went very well,” Kotzian said. “Of course, there is always room for improvement, but the students gave the very best performance they could and the scores reflected that.”

Senior Chloe Clarambeau also feels satisfied with the performance and how Melody Makers presented themselves.

“The competition went great,” Clarambeau said. “I was extremely proud of how we performed and presented ourselves and represented our school to the judges.” 

Melody Makers also had a fun-filled day at Universal Studios in Orlando on the day they arrived. Students were able to enjoy the themed attractions and the 80-degree weather.

Clarambeau enjoyed the trip and the weather.

“The trip was good overall,” Clarambeau said. “I went to Universal Studios last year with the choir, so I kind of knew what to expect, so that calmed a lot of nerves. The weather was great. A bit hot, but no complaints.”