Last day of school moved to June 10

IMAGE / Hope Wills

Kearsley’s schedule has been changed due to snow days in the 2018-19 school year.

Because Kearsley has met its limit and was granted a waiver on weather-related days, only two days are still left to be made up.

This pushes the final day of school to June 10.

With 11 days missed out of the allotted six the state automatically forgives school districts, five days were left for Kearsley to make up.

But Michigan allows districts to apply to have up to three days forgiven if they exceed the limit.

Kearsley applied for this waiver and was forgiven three additional days.

Mr. Kevin Walworth, superintendent, said he had no choice but to add two more days to the calendar. He believes making up the two excess days is the most rational approach.

“As of right now, we legally have to make up two days. We can’t just add hours to make up missing time,” Walworth said. “I think it is reasonable that the State of Michigan expects us to make up the two days.”

As it stands, this would require our high school students in grades nine through 11 to add two days.  This will not impact the end of the senior year or graduation.

— Mr. Kevin Walworth, superintendent

Walworth said with this new schedule, no student is losing time for any important events.

“As it stands, this would require our high school students in grades nine through 11 to add two days.  This will not impact the end of the senior year or graduation,” Walworth said. “High school students don’t need to worry about the half-day versus full-day part of the communication.  Exams will run as usual on the last three days of school.”

Exams will follow this schedule:

• 1st & 2nd Hours: June 6
  • 3rd & 4th Hours: June 7
  • 5th & 6th Hours: June 10

With this in mind, Walworth said there is still hope for legislators to forgive these days.

“There is still a chance that the legislators will forgive additional days, but we (staff) probably won’t hear from them until late April or May,” Walworth said. “So, until then, the schedule will be as described.”