Sturk wins league singles tournament, girls bowling wins two tournaments

IMAGE / Mrs. Stephanie Langworthy

The girls bowling team won a regional tune-up tournament Sunday, Feb. 17 that it hosted. The Hornets are hungry for another regional and state title as they enter regional competition Friday, Feb. 22.

The girls bowling team had an alley-filled weekend as it participated in the Metro League Singles Tournament, Regional Tune-up Tournament, and the Best-of-the-Best Tournament.

This was the team’s final competition until the MHSAA tournament begins.

The Hornets will compete in a Division 2 regional tournament Friday, Feb. 22, at 9:30 a.m. at Monitor Lanes in Bay City.

Metro League Singles Tournament

The team traveled to Owosso on Saturday, Feb. 16, to compete in the singles tournament.

Sophomore Emilea Sturk took first in the tournament, defeating Kearsley teammate junior Samantha Timm in the final.

The Hornet showdown went down to the last frame and pin, with Sturk pulling out a victory 227-217.

Sturk was hesitant to face her teammate, but also had confidence in herself.

“I was nervous that I was gonna mess up and lose but had confidence at the same time,” Sturk said. “Winning felt great, especially since I haven’t done the best during the season and winning that (tournament) just gave me my confidence back that I had lost during the season before.”

Kearsley had three girls make first team All-League: junior Imari Blond, senior Alexis Roof, and sophomore Allison Eible.

As her final season is coming to an end, Roof has made first team all four years of high school.

“I’m proud of myself for making first team for the fourth year in a row,” Roof said. “The hard work is finally paying off, and seeing that I have accomplished this feels amazing.”

Sophomore Megan Timm and Sturk earned second team All-League.

Samantha Timm received honorable mention.

Regional Tune-up

The Hornets hosted the Regional Tune-up on Sunday, Feb. 17, and finished first.

Twenty-one teams came to Richfield Bowl to compete.

Kearsley had games of 1,048 and 1,039 to finish with a 3,640 total for qualifying.

The girls qualified first and held their own throughout the entire tournament.

Coach Rob Ploof is confident in his team’s ability.

“Our girls know how to compete, and we believe we are prepared for anything,” Ploof said. “It is part of the reason why we bowl in so many tournaments during the season, so we are prepared.”

The team took on Clarkston after the cut was made for the top eight.

The Hornets outscored the Wolves with ease 359-299.

Matching up with Lapeer, the team pulled off a close game, winning 362-356.

In the final, Kearsley went against Lake Orion, winning both games 191-178 and 184-169.

The Hornets had three bowlers make the All-Tournament team.

Blond led the tournament with games of 247 and 234 for a 481 total.

Roof was second with games of 222 and 225 for a 447 total

Third was Megan Timm with games of 232 and 210 for a 442 total.

Best of the Best Tournament

On Monday, Feb. 18, the Hornets went to Holly Lanes to compete in the Best-of-the-Best Tournament.

Kearsley took home another victory, closing out its regular season.

The team qualified first with games of 895 and 957 and a total score of 1,852.

In the final, Kearsley won the first game 183-162 against Flushing and came alive in the final game for a 248-125 finish.