Students like sugary snacks in vending machines

IMAGE / Riley Paris

The vending machines now stock treats with more sugar than the whole grain treats that were only sold in past years.

Kearsley High School brought back sweet foods this year, and students like it.

Now that former President Barack Obama is out of office, so is the “Let’s Move!” campaign, which pushed to have more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and low-fat milk dairy products, as well as less sodium and fat in schools.

Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal, said that the reason the school can now sell food with more sugar in it is because the State of Michigan said they could.

“We get a notice that comes from the State of Michigan that says what is legal and illegal to put and sell in the vending machines for students to eat,” Wiskur said. “With Barack Obama no longer being president, we can now sell those foods in the vending machine.”

Thomas Danko, sophomore, said he’s happier now with the snacks in the vending machines than before.

“I like the snacks better this year because the ones with sugar are better than the same snacks but with whole grain alternative,” Danko said.

IMAGE / Riley Paris Many students think snacks in the vending machine that have more sugar in them are better tasting than their whole grain counterparts.

Wiskur spends some of the money from the vending machines directly for students, staff, and other needs for the school.

“We use (some of) the money to buy staff dinners, pay back the school store when students spend too much, and to buy the students’ awards,” Wiskur said.

Wiskur likes putting money back into the school and giving back to students and staff.

Many students are thankful that they can now have the sweet snacks they love.

Senior Brooke Mata is happy with the new selection of food inside the vending machines after three years of whole grain foods.

“I really like the new selection of food this year better than the last three years,” Mata said. “I especially like the Hot Cheetos.”

Junior Cameron Dues likes the sweet food better than the whole grain food.

“I get food out of the vending machine whenever I have money, and I usually get Hot Cheetos,” Dues said.

Sophomore Kosta Slaughter is in between about the food in the vending machine at the moment.

“They should put better food in there, but I still go about eight times a day,” Slaughter said.

Freshmen, however, never experienced the whole grain foods in the vending machines since it’s their first year in the high school.

Freshman Claudia Craft said that the sweet stuff is way better.

“I like the sugary stuff more than the whole grain alternative,” Craft said.