Girls bowling wins two league matches, Baker tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kearsley bowling teams both win first place at the Baker Eliminator Invitational tournament at Royal Scot Lanes in Lansing on Sunday, Dec. 2.

IMAGE / Mrs. Kimberly Timm

IMAGE / Mrs. Kimberly Timm

IMAGE / Mrs. Kimberly Timm

The girls bowling team began its season with a double match and a tournament, defeating both Linden and Brandon on Saturday, Dec. 1, and placing first at a Baker tournament Sunday, Dec. 2.

Linden

The Hornets began the day with a Metro League match against Linden, with a 30-0 victory against the Eagles.

The girls first bowled a 255 Baker game to Linden’s 146, then a 180 to the Eagles’ 120.

This 10-0 lead gave the Hornets a boost of energy that continued in the individual games.

Bowling a 1,041-604 team game, the girls defeated Linden with ease.

The Hornets finished up the individual games throwing a 991 actual game to the Eagles’ 422.

The total final pinfall was 2,477-1,292.

Top scorers for Kearsley were junior Imari Blond (243 and 225), sophomore Allison Eible (232 and 173), junior Hannah Simms (223), and sophomore Megan Timm (208 and 203).

Brandon

Kearsley opened its second match with Baker games of 238 and 140 as Brandon had Baker games of 107 and 104.

Winning the Baker games earned Kearsley a 10-0 lead before going into the individual games.

In the individual games, anchor bowler junior Imari Blond excelled, bowling nine straight strikes, scoring a 278 game.

The team had actual games of 1,105 and 951, resulting in a win after a total pinfall of 2,434 to Brandon’s 1,530.

Kearsley won 30-0.

Top scorers for the Hornets were junior Imari Blond (278 and 216), senior Alexis Roof (233 and 185), sophomore Emilea Sturk (213 and 170), sophomore Allison Eible (209), and junior Samantha Timm (197).

Baker Eliminator Invitational

At Royal Scot Lanes in Lansing, the Hornets had a strong Baker tournament.

Kearsley qualified as the No. 1 seed with their 2,211 game. Flushing qualified as the No. 2 seed with a 2,004. The No. 3 and 4 spots were filled by Tecumseh and Battle Creek Pennfield.

The Hornets moved into bracket-style matches with each match being a two-game total pinfall.

Kearsley faced Carman-Ainworth in the first round and the Cavaliers took the lead winning 204 to the Hornets’ 193.

The Hornets then came back and defeated Carman-Ainsworth 178-167.

Due to the tie, the girls then did a roll off to declare the winner, which Kearsley won 92-67.

The Hornets then bowled against Battle Creek Pennfield. The Panthers started out strong, bowling a 258 game to Kearsley’s 216.

Pennfield defeated the Hornets overall with a score of 408-379.

After the loss, Kearsley moved into the loser bracket and had to face Tecumseh once again.

The Hornets rolled a 221 to Tecumseh’s 168 and again defeated them with a second game of 192 to 165 for a total of 413 to 335 victory.

The Hornets then moved into the final four, first going against Portland.

Kearsley bowled games of 198 and 197 to Portland’s 131 and 168, which moved the Hornets into the finals, facing off against Battle Creek Pennfield.

Kearsley came out on fire the first game, winning 195-183,

The Hornets finished off the tournament with a 188-155 victory in the second game, clinching the tournament championship 383-338.

About the Writer
Stephanie Lane, Sports Editor

Birthday: Jan. 9, 2001

Hobbies/Interests: Student Council Vice President, NHS member, freshman mentor, and the student representative on the Board...