Students should be aware of chickenpox virus

Two cases of the viral disease chickenpox were recently diagnosed in the Kearsley School District, one at Weston Elementary and one at Pumpkin Patch.

Superintendent Kevin Walworth sent a letter home to parents Tuesday, Sept. 25, explaining the situation.

“We are working closely with the Genesee County Health Department in response to this situation,” Walworth said in the letter. “We are taking every precaution to keep our students and staff safe.”

Chickenpox is a contagious viral disease that can be spread through the air or through bodily fluids. Symptoms include rash, blisters, fever, headache, loss of appetite, and tiredness.

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons
The chickenpox virus causes a rash over the back of this 30-year-old man. This is on the fifth day since the rash’s development. The man’s pocks are starting to crust over.

Most people recover without any complications, and it can be prevented through vaccination.

“If your student is exhibiting symptoms of chickenpox, please keep them home and have them evaluated by their doctor in order to limit exposure to other students,” Walworth said.

Mrs. Amy Graham, health teacher, said the best prevention is to get vaccinated.

“Most students will be protected from the virus if they are vaccinated,” Graham said. “I would recommend the chickenpox vaccine for everyone.”

According to the Genesee County Health Department, people who get sick with chickenpox should be isolated until their lesions are crusted over, which should not be more than 10 days.

If you have questions about the chickenpox virus, call the Genesee County Health Department at 257-1017.