‘Pee for Pizza’ promotes STD testing

IMAGE / Morgan Brode

This sign is posted around Kearsley High School promoting students to get tested for an STD at the health clinic.

Because STD awareness month is in April, the health clinic at Kearsley High School is offering a free screened STD check Thursday, April 26, and Friday, April 27.

To encourage students to get themselves checked, the Michigan Regional Alliance for Healthy Schools staff in the clinic are offering students a free slice of pizza if they come in to be tested for an STD.

RAHS staff is calling this incentive “Pee for Pizza.”

All students have to do is go to the clinic in their free time, give a urine sample, and then they will be granted a slice of pizza for participating in STD awareness month.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of reported sexually transmitted diseases is at an all-time high, and if you are sexually active, you are at risk of infection.

Knowing the signs, symptoms, and risks are crucial when diagnosing an STD accurately. You should get tested immediately to prevent further damage, plus the CDC said on its website that “many STDs are curable, and all are treatable.”

Senior Madi Van Hamlin is choosing to participate in the event Thursday, April 26.

“I’m choosing to participate because I have no money, and it’s an easy way to get some free pizza,” Van Hamlin said.