Seniors should apply for Kearsley scholarships

Attention all seniors planning on going to college, KHS scholarships are available for application.

Seniors can go online and print out applications at www.kearsleyschools.org. Click on the ‘schools’ tab which will take you to the KHS website.

Once you’ve located the high school’s website, find ‘Guidance News’ under the counseling tab.

If you have trouble locating the scholarships online, the applications are also available in the counseling office.

You will find that there are 18 different scholarships available to all seniors.

When turning in an application, seniors will need to include the following things: a checklist of wanted scholarships, a completed application form with required attachments, two letters of recommendations from a KHS teacher or staff member, and a transcript with SAT/ACT scores.

Each scholarship offers many different types of eligibility.

Mr. Craig Golembiewski, guidance counselor, said students may have a higher chance when applying for scholarships like the ”Patricia Smith Memorial Scholarship” and the “George Daly Vocational/Technical Scholarship.”

These particular awards, Golembiewski said, do not receive many applicants.

The Patricia Smith scholarship is high in value and important to those interested in a career in elementary teaching.

“Someone who has an interest and has a 3.0 GPA, I highly encourage to get an application submitted,” Golembiewski said. “Some years we don’t have anybody (apply).”

The George Daly Vocational award is worth $1,500 and is meant for those who are accepted and plan to attend a vocational or technical school full-time and have attended KHS for two consecutive years.

“With this one, their emphasis is on students who are going into skilled trades,” Golembiewski said, “like if somebody wants to study welding or electrician or automotive.”

Golembiewski said seniors should apply for these scholarships.

There are 18 different awards to apply for, so be sure to check the list.

“There’s kind of something for everyone honestly,” Golembiewski said. “My encouragement would be for every senior to at least take the time to look through the 18 different ones to see if something applies to them.”

Seniors are able to apply for as many scholarships as they’d like, and a student can be awarded multiple times.

Applications may be turned in to Mrs. Jamie Jenkins in the counseling office.

The deadline for all applications is March 15.

Winners will be announced at the Senior Honors Convocation on May 31.