Swim team breaks two-year curse

IMAGE / Alicia Konsez

Freshman Noel Nowacki won four events, two relays and two individual events, to lead Kearsley/Clio past Ovid-Elsie on Dec. 16.

After losing for two consecutive years, the Kearsley/Clio swim team beat Ovid-Elsie 90-80 on Dec. 16.

Senior Ryan Walker, freshman Noel Nowacki, sophomore Trent Kehoe, and senior Brendan Evenson started off strong by taking first in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 2:01.

The same relay team also took first in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:48.

Despite being a freshman, Nowacki placed first in his two individual events. Nowacki swam the 50 freestyle with a time of 26.11 and the 100 fly in 1:09.

“I was really excited about getting first,” Nowacki said. “All the hard practices really paid off.”

Kehoe also placed first in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:13.84 and placed second in the 200 individual medley in 2:38.

“I pushed myself a lot harder because I thought we had more of a chance against Ovid-Elsie,” Kehoe said.

Nowacki said the coaches, Head Coach Jeff Gilbert and Assistant Coach Dave Barrett, push the team in practices, which helped the team in its meet against Ovid-Elsie.

He also said being part of the team’s first victory in two years was thrilling.

“I was excited when they announced that we won,” Nowacki said.

Overall, there were several personal records recorded by Kearsley/Clio swimmers, which the coaches said made them proud.

In addition, some parents of Ovid-Elsie swimmers said they were impressed with the Kearsley/Clio team’s sportsmanship.

The Kearsley/Clio swimmers not only cheered for their own teammates at the end of the pool but also cheered for Ovid-Elsie swimmers to get their best times.

Kearlsey/Clio’s next meet is Jan.6 against Carman-Ainsworth/Flushing.