Seniors win inaugural powdertuff volleyball tournament

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley

The seniors celebrate after winning the first powdertuff volleyball tournament Thursday, Feb. 9.

The seniors that played powdertuff on Thursday, Feb. 9, worked hard and played a total of eight games, earning them the championship.

Before the matches, senior Mitchell Conely shared his best strategy of the night.

“Get the ball over the net,” Conely said.

For volleyball that is a great goal to have. And get the ball over the net they did.

There was a considerable more amount of players on the senior team than any of the other teams.

IMAGE / Hanah Hendley
Sophomore Colton Joseph jumps to block a volley from the seniors (blue shirts) in a semifinal game.

But instead of this being a good thing, it made it more difficult to get in the groove of knowing which players work better together to score.

One of the top performing players was senior Matt Carpenter. He had never played volleyball before, but he dominated the court.

In the semifinals, the sophomores took on the seniors while the juniors played the freshmen.

The juniors-freshmen match went three games, with the juniors sweeping them all: 25-11, 25-12, and 25-14.

Junior Collin McNew said his team won “with ease.”

The seniors-sophomores matchup was much more close.

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley
Freshman John Brown (left) and junior Jonathon Conley shake hands after their semifinal matchup.

After the seniors won the first game 26-24, the sophomores won two in a row 25-22 and 25-14.

However, the seniors scratched their way back in the fourth game 25-23 to set up a decisive fifth game.

In the final game of the semifinals, the seniors won easily 15-8 and moved on to the championship match.

After both teams celebrated their victories, they were given a break to recharge and have the full-sized court set up for the final: seniors vs.  juniors, best of three games.

In the first game, the juniors won 25-22.

These two teams had, by then, mastered their teamwork and were a good match for each other.

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley
Ashtyn Cohoon, freshman, serves up a volley to the juniors.

The seniors came back in the second game, though, winning 25-21.

In the final game of the night, they played to 15 but they had to score at least two more points than the other team.

The seniors managed 15 points but at the same time the juniors had 14. The juniors scored another point next, and they were tied 15-15.

The game went on like this for a while, going back and forth until the seniors finally managed to get two more points than the juniors — final score, 19-17.

Directly after the match, senior Neil Kagerer was asked how he felt, and he screamed “amazing” and went to celebrate with his team.

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley
Senior Hunter Stanley jumps higher than his teammates, celebrating a semifinal victory over the sophomores.

When junior Kyle Palka was asked how he felt about the game, he was let down.

“It’s disappointing, but there’s nothing we can do,” Palka said.

Even though the juniors lost they kept their spirits up and congratulated the seniors on their victory.