Social media hosts unnecessary chaos

Jacob+DePottey

Jacob DePottey

Nowadays, social media plays a large role in student’s lives.

Most of them spend more time on their phones texting and tweeting rather than actually talking face-to-face.

This can be a major problem, especially when there are negative feelings between the students talking via Internet.

At a glance, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media outlets seem appealing and friendly.

But when going deeper into the sites, it is obvious that they host some major chaos.

Many high school students do not just use social media to share what they are doing for the upcoming weekend or what they had for dinner, but they are using these sites to fight with one another.

Commenting negative feelings about a person’s new profile picture or sub tweeting someone they do not get along with are just some of the key negative actions taking place on the Web.

Not only is this outrageously wrong, but it is a form of bullying.

If you do not like someone’s picture, oh well, get over it.

If they feel good about how they look in it, do not try and bring them down — just keep your opinion to yourself.

If the photo is inappropriate, simply report it, do not try starting problems about it to the person in it.

When you report a photo your identity is kept private, and when avoiding trouble this is the best case scenario.

And as far as sub-tweeting goes, just do not do it.

A sub-tweet is a tweet directed toward a particular person without including their twitter handle.

Chances are they know it is about them, or other people do, and they will spread the news.

And this information will eventually reach the person the sub-tweet was about.

So if you have a problem with someone, simply talk it through with them. Do not start unnecessary drama by posting your opinion of them on the Internet.

In my opinion, it is cowardly to post about someone instead of talking to them about it in person.

Just handle the issue in a respectful, face-to-face manner, not by sub-tweeting or fighting on Facebook.

Sure, the Web gives you a sense of security and courage.

When you are talking to the person via messenger, chances are you feel more comfortable fighting with them and saying mean things.

But this false sense of security and bravery is just that — false.

Eventually, whether you like it or not, you will have to see them again and handle it in person.

So do the right thing and avoid being a bully over the Internet.

Instead, treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Social media bullying has led to fatal consequences, like death of the one being targeted.

Many students do not realize just how powerful their words can be, so use them responsibly.

Social media sites are supposed to be a good thing, not something used to spread rumors and hurt others.

Too many times have I seen relationships ruined by the Internet, so next time, think before you tweet or make a comment.