Seniors now required to pass SAT to graduate this year

Senior+Alexxa+Flood+tries+not+to+cry+while+studying+for+the+SAT+on+Wednesday%2C+March+30.+

IMAGE / Makenzie Schroeder

Senior Alexxa Flood tries not to cry while studying for the SAT on Wednesday, March 30.

The State Legislature passed a bill on Monday, March 28, requiring all seniors to take and pass the SAT above the 25 percentile in order to graduate this year.

Even though the current seniors took the ACT last year, the Class of 2016 is still required to take the SAT before Friday, May 27.

Once test scores are released, any seniors who do not score above the 25th percentile will have their diplomas revoked.

Seniors will be required to retake the SAT until their score is in the desired percentile, then they will receive their diploma.

Gov. Rick Snyder sent out a press release regarding this new bill on Tuesday, March 29, hoping to gain support from Michiganders.

“Although this is upsetting to many students around the state, we (the state government) believe that this is the best option for education,” Snyder said. “Not only will test scores drastically rise, but the apathy of students will drastically lower.”

This is the first year that Kearsley will be offering the SAT instead of the ACT.

While there are mixed opinions regarding this bill, many seniors are upset about this last-minute graduation requirement, including senior Alexxa Flood.

Now that I have to take the SAT instead, I feel completely unprepared and like I wasted a lot of time last year studying for a now irrelevant test.

— Alexxa Flood, senior

“I worked very hard to prepare for the ACT last year and made sure to do well on it,” Flood said. “Now that I have to take the SAT instead, I feel completely unprepared and like I wasted a lot of time last year studying for a now irrelevant test.”

While juniors take the SAT on Tuesday, April 12, seniors will be scheduled to take it a week after on Tuesday, April 19.

A make-up date will be announced once scheduled.

Although most students are upset, many teachers believe that this will be beneficial for the school, including Mrs. Kim Guest, marketing teacher.

“This will give seniors a great opportunity to practice taking  difficult tests before college,” Guest said. “Students should look at this as a blessing and not something to be upset about.”

Seniors, as well as juniors, need to take this test seriously. It has the power to keep them from graduating.

— Mrs. Kim Guest, marketing teacher

Guest will be offering study sessions for seniors in her room every Friday after school from 2:30 until 3:30 p.m. until the SAT.

Seniors are also invited to attend the SAT prep classes, initially held for juniors, after school on Wednesdays.

“Seniors, as well as juniors, need to take this test seriously,” Guest said. “It has the power to keep them from graduating.”

Disclaimer — This story is made up and is completely fictitious. Don’t believe a word of it. April Fools!