TeenQuest preps teens for their first jobs

Junior DeAndrae White graduated from TeenQuest two years ago and is thankful for the after-school program for one big reason — money.

“TeenQuest taught me skills that I could use anywhere, and it led to money being put into my pocket,” White said. “So I’m glad I took TeenQuest.”

Ms. Rhetta Hunyady founded the program that has been helping students since 2004, providing teens like White with the skills needed to land their first jobs.

Hunyady is the vice president of the Department of Education & Training in the Flint & Genesee Chamber of Commerce.

“TeenQuest is a pre-employment leadership training program for high school students,” Hunyady said. “Five sessions are offered each year at area high schools or community locations, with one held in the summer.”

Teens have an incentive to do well in the program.

Hunyady said, “Teens who successfully complete the program are eligible to apply for employment through the Summer Youth Initiative.”

The Summer Youth Initiative hosts a job fair where teens are given the opportunity to explore different summer jobs that are available throughout Genesee County. Many graduates are hired for these positions at each job fair.

TeenQuest focuses on communication, self-confidence, and interview and application techniques. The program believes these techniques are necessary to landing a first job.

But the skills learned at TeenQuest can also be applied at home and school.

Over the 10 years TeenQuest has been running, over 7,000 teens have graduated and benefited from the program.

Hunyady feels good knowing that the program has helped thousands of teens. She said she enjoys seeing students tell her how they have benefited from TeenQuest.

The skills I learned in TeenQuest helped me out so much. It taught me leadership skills and communication skills, which helped me get a summer job.

— DeAndrae White, junior

“I love seeing the teens stand up and stand out, sharing newly-found confidence about their new skills,” Hunyady said, “which they are using in school, home, and applying for that first job.

Hunyady also said the success of the program comes from the adult mentors who work with the the teens.

She said, “They (the mentors) are dedicated to seeing young people succeed.”

As for White, he appreciates the program because it helped him get a summer job at Boys & Girls Clubs.

“The skills I learned in TeenQuest helped me out so much,” White said. “It taught me leadership skills and communication skills, which helped me get a summer job.”