Bands play beautifully at holiday concert

IMAGE / Ave'r Mckay

The Symphonic Band plays at its holiday concert on Thursday, Dec. 3.

The Kearsley’s band classes have been preparing for their winter concert for the whole school year.

The concert took place on Thursday, Dec. 3.

Band concerts are a different experience for me, and it was definitely an event that I was looking forward to attending.

I think that band concerts are great — not only to listen to, but to watch.

One thing about the concert I really liked was how everyone that was playing looked focused on what they were doing.

The first band that played was Armstrong Middle School’s Beginners Band, which consists of mostly sixth-graders.

They played well for being beginners, with most of them staying in time with the rest of the band.

The Varsity Band played next, which is predominantly seventh-graders.

I enjoyed listening to this band because they clearly had put a lot of time and practice into their music, and all of the members seemed so focused.

There was a short break, with small pieces played by the tuba and saxophone players.

After the short intermission, Armstrong’s Concert Band performed.

This is the middle school’s most advanced band, and they played accordingly.

The music that was played sounded almost equivalent to the high school’s band, and I thought these students definitely were ready to play in the high school band.

KHS’ Symphonic Band played next.

This band is the most advanced band at the concert, consisting of only high school students.

The songs that were played definitely made me feel the holiday spirit.

“The Call of Christmas” by Wim Stalman was the first song. It was played beautifully.

“Theme and Variations for the Chanukah Festival” was next. I liked this song because it seemed like it was several songs combined into one.

It was clear that both of the bands that played worked hard to make the concert the best it could be because the music was played nearly flawlessly.

My favorite song that was played was “The Twelve Days of Christmas” by Sean O’Loughlin. It was beautiful and was definitely the highlight of the concert for me.

I enjoyed the concert because it was evident the whole band was definitely into what they were playing.

It was interesting to see that several of the members tapped their feet to keep on beat.

The music that was played was enjoyable and sounded like there was a lot of effort put into the concert’s production.